Bessemer furnaces in the Sheffield area

Texas

Thanks for putting me right Greybeard. Bessemers partner was called Longsdon. Among other things he was an architect, and he designed and built the whole shebang, in white stone, topped by a white chimney. So that was the color before everything got so mucky!

I have just had a look at one of my old Sheffield books published in 1879 and there is quite a lot about Bessemer Steel.

Apparently the usual steel making method in Sheffield before Bessemer took nearly thirty days, the Bessemer process took thirty minutes.

In 1879 the production in Sheffield (on Carlisle St) was 12,000 tons per week, total English production was 50,000 tons per week "and the production in the United States of America and Europe is also great".

At that time the steel was used for "rails, tyres, axles, piston-rods and spindles"

There is a three page description of how the steel is made but it would take me weeks to type it in

Archived