S.t Patricks Roman Catholic church, Barnsley Rd Sheffield

dickturpin

Fond memories of st pats.

especially the day sister bernadette gave me a thrashing with hers beeds for acidentaly dropping a tray of bonfire toffee the nuns had made to sell to the kids at playtime. I was eight at the time.

fonder memories at st peters where i bumped into another nun, sister john who loved to roll your hair around her finger near to your hair line then pull with all her might until you obviously cried. Only when you were crying would she walk back to her desk with a rather pleased grin on her face.

I don't think Sister John taught at St. Peter's, you may be thinking of Sister Josephine who I heard about from my older sisters.

I saw Sister John recently, she has just moved to a convent nursing home in Doncaster, she is ninety years old and doing very well and I can't remember her being anything other than a pleasent person.

especially the day sister bernadette gave me a thrashing with hers beeds for acidentaly dropping a tray of bonfire toffee the nuns had made to sell to the kids at playtime. I was eight at the time.

fonder memories at st peters where i bumped into another nun, sister john who loved to roll your hair around her finger near to your hair line then pull with all her might until you obviously cried. Only when you were crying would she walk back to her desk with a rather pleased grin on her face.

surely not sr john, she was so sweet as I remember??? an sr Bernadette, now sr carmela.........

Dear Mr p2E

Your absolutely right I did get mixed up, I do mean St Josephine and not sister John, sister john was a kindly lady and she did teach me at st pat's.

I'm sorry for the comment I made about sister john, My last day at St peters was in 1965 and during the yard assembly a pupil threw a metal poker up at the 2nd floor widow where sister Josephine was stood watching the assembly.

Obviously she wasn't very popular with many of the pupils

Dear Mr p2E

Your absolutely right I did get mixed up, I do mean St Josephine and not sister John, sister john was a kindly lady and she did teach me at st pat's.

I'm sorry for the comment I made about sister john, My last day at St peters was in 1965 and during the yard assembly a pupil threw a metal poker up at the 2nd floor widow where sister Josephine was stood watching the assembly.

Obviously she wasn't very popular with many of the pupils

My dad's description of Sister Josephine was,she was thrown out of the Gestapo for over doing the cruelty.

That memory was from the late 30's early 40's, she must have made a lasting impression !!! :o

There are some sick people in this world. Unfortunately too many of them had access to children.

hI, all you ex st.pats people .My brother and i were there throughout the war years,living on HARTLEY BROOK RD. close to MOLINEAUX RD.Our sister 7 years younger started in 1948.I remember sister JOSEPHINE,(she had a mean streak in her,everyone was glad that sister BERNADETTE was made head instead of her.Sister john what a nice person she was,also there at that time there was sister FRANCIS. toastmaster,shaufl, and mrp2e, i'm almost sure that i must know some of your relatives.Right after the war we were living at the other end of HARTLEY BROOK RD. three houses from BUTTERTHWAITE RD.ST. PATS. kids in the neibourhood were RICHARD YALE,THE GORMERLY'S LENA, KEVIN,ECT.They lived next to the gennel.Sorry but i can't picture the WALL family, but i'm sure that i know them.I'll ask my sister next time i phone her as she still lives in SHEFFIELD. We used to live next door to EASTWOODS.Priests at st.pats at that time, were FR.GALLON, FR.HOLLAND(who later opened ST. THOMAS MORES), FR BACKHOUSE,AND FR LYON'S.Later came FR.COLLINS who married my wife and i,also there was a FR.BENSON, who was killed in the second war in FRANCE i think? nice talking to everyone,love to hear from anyone. bye,eightlegger.

MY father was around at the same time as your dad he was john wall, his 3 brother matt, tom, and Jim and his sister May were also there in the late 30s and 40s. they lived on butterthwaite road

Hi Toastie, My father Brian and his 3 brothers lived on Keppel Rd, Eddy, Terry and Vin Flanagan.

Hi Toastie, My father Brian and his 3 brothers lived on Keppel Rd, Eddy, Terry and Vin Flanagan.

Hi,,shaunfl,I wasin the same class as your uncle VINCENT,for most of our school life, i left st. pats, and did my last two years at ST. THERESA'S, as we moved to the ,MANOR.(it was pretty hard moving to another school and district after all those years).Although i kept in touch with my pals and made new ones.Sometimes VINNY,my brother and i would walk home together,as we all lived quite a ways.We lived on hartley brook at butterthwaite rd,but vinny had quite a bit further to go.He had a couple of close pals named FEENEY and MARTIN. (surnames) Well,SHAUN,i hope VINNY is enjoying good health.regards (arthur) eightlegger'

Archived