The Sizzling pub chain - what are their pubs like?

GordonBennet

I've seen in the paper that the Sizzling pub chain are doing a two for a fiver deal on some of their pub meals, but I've never actually been to one. Here's the deal I mean.

http://www.sizzlingpubs.co.uk/

According to their website they have several pubs in or near Sheffield, but annoying none near where I live. Has anyone been to any of the following and would they recommend them?

Norton in Meadowhead - 3.6 Miles

337 Meadowhead, Sheffield, S8 7UD.

The White Rose in Handsworth - 5.7 Miles

17 Handsworth Road, Sheffield, S9 4AA.

The Birley Hotel in Frecheville - 6.0 Miles

Birley Moor Road, Sheffield, S12 4WB.

The Three Magpies Hotel in Brinsworth - 6.8 Miles

Bonet Lane, Brinsworth, Rotherham, S60 5NF.

The Fox in Beighton - 8.2 Miles

21 Robin Lane, Beighton, Sheffield, S20 1BB.

I like the Norton, it is not that scruffy at all.

The food was not on 2 for a fiver when I went in on Wednesday. But would glad if they did do it.

I think that would depend on your interpretation of scruffy.

My main problem with these 2 for a fiver places is they serve food that is 2 for a fiver, and are frequented by people who eat 2 for a fiver food.

We popped into one of them for a burger at lunchtime when we were out with the dog a few weeks ago. Can't say that it was anything to write home about, but then we weren't exactly going for a wonderful dining experience and it met our requirements at the time.

The Sizzling Pub chain seem to attract the bottom end of the market with their low prices for fatty processed food and drink. I used to go to the White Rose, but had that many unacceptable meals there I won't go in the places any more. Everything is extremely unhealthy, no veg etc, not unless you consider fried onions as veg? The Ember Inn chain is far better!

The Norton is scruffy and smells of toilets. The Fox at Beighton, just another typical estate 'boozer' full of low lifes stood outside smoking roll ups and drinking John Smiths at £1.85 a pint.

The Sizzling Pub chain seem to attract the bottom end of the market with their low prices for fatty processed food and drink. I used to go to the White Rose, but had that many unacceptable meals there I won't go in the places any more. Everything is extremely unhealthy, no veg etc, not unless you consider fried onions as veg? The Ember Inn chain is far better!

The Norton is scruffy and smells of toilets. The Fox at Beighton, just another typical estate 'boozer' full of low lifes stood outside smoking roll ups and drinking John Smiths at £1.85 a pint.

I popped in the Norton on Saturday night. I popped back out about 30 seconds (sorry 15 seconds) later and went across the road to Ferdinando's.

I really do not know what was going through the head of the guy who took me to the Norton. It was everything that you describe, and worse.

There were loud bottle swigging youths shouting and swearing, and people attempting to eat in amongst them. I don't think I could ever been hungry enough to want to eat in a place like that. Man at Matalan with chips.

I agree everytime we have been to that pub service is slow and the food unappealing !!

Regardless of the ''2 for a fiver offer'' which was a coupon in recent newspapers and also printable off their website I would still choose to go elsewhere !!!

:rolleyes:

I agree everytime we have been to that pub service is slow and the food unappealing !!

Regardless of the ''2 for a fiver offer'' which was a coupon in recent newspapers and also printable off their website I would still choose to go elsewhere !!!

:rolleyes:

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

A 2 for a fiver meal means you get a cheap meal. It is no indication of good value.

Similarly an expensive meal is no indication of quality, but there can be an expectation of such.

With a £2.50 meal there can be no such expectation. You know you are going to be served junk.

Archived