Born In Upperthorpe

IAN S

Great stuff thanks,

I read this post and ironically i now live on Martin Street and running a Greengrocers. When we took the old sign off the shop front there was one behind called "Reds" there is a picture of it on our facebook page. It was a pleasant surprise as we didn't know it used to be a fruit and veg shop.

Look forward to seeing you

I used to live on Upperthorpe in the 60,s. I had a friend called David who lived above his parents fruit and veg shop on Upperthorpe Road in 1968. We was both 10/11 at the time.

I then had to move out of the area due to slum clearance and lost contact.

Could this be the same shop?

• 3 months later...
Hi there we came from Martin street and Martin lane.My grandad and then my uncle owned the fruit shop in Martin street.We used to sell fruit and veg from a horse and cart does anyone remember the shop.

I was born in netherthorpe and I remember him well coming round the area and also there was beers with a horse and cart who had a shop on the corner of fawcet street opposite saint stevens church and then moved to the end of summer street I used to go to school with his grandson kevin beer often wonder wat became of kevin though

• 4 months later...
Although I wasn't born or raised in Upperthorpe, I did have connections there. My grandparents owned the sweet shop in Addy St opposite the cinema in the early 50's. My great grandmother lived in a big old house in Shipton Street. It had several cellars which made an ideal shelter during the war. The family name is Needham. As a child visiting the area, by tram in those days, I remember walking up Albert Terrace Rd., past the Upperthorpe Tabernacle. I also recall a lady named Vera Boot, who was great at wallpapering. I think they lived in Addy Street too.

Hi there ~ I came across this post quite by accident, I appreciate its years old but thought it was worth giving it shot!!. The lady you refer to, Vera Boot, is my Mum, we did live on Addy Street, just opposite the Oxford Cinema ~ My mum wallpapered everybody's home in Upperthorpe, and further afield as her reputation grew. She is still around, a spritely 91 year old, who was decorating well into her 70's (just shows what hard work can do for you eh?) I know your family Needhams; my Mum and Brenda are still great pals, although its down to Christmas cards and random phone calls nowadays. I remember your grandparents house, I used to go there a lot, it was opposite the old Darby & Joan Club which was in a cellar (not sure how the Darby and Joan's got down the stairs! but my Granny loved to go) One of my friends was Gillian Needham, she was so nice and loved to visit her family Shipton Street, we lost contact when we moved early 70's. Anyway, no point in rambling on just in case you don't get this, but I really hope you do. When I told my Mum her name was on Sheffield Forum she said ~ "hey, I'm famous!!! so thanks for putting her name in your post, it brought her a lot of pleasure.

---------- Post added 13-02-2014 at 23:26 ----------

It could be there is accommodation above the shop, although they have been turned into student flats, the sign we found is at least 35 years old as i spoke to a lady who remembered it from being a little girl.

Hi there, I used to live in Addy Street, we had a neighbour in our yard called Margie Smegley; her mother (or mother-in-law) used to live above your shop. Though that might be of interest to you. Best of Luck with the shop:)

Hi there, I used to live in Addy Street, we had a neighbour in our yard called Margie Smegley; her mother (or mother-in-law) used to live above your shop. Though that might be of interest to you. Best of Luck with the shop

Hello,

Just thought we would let everyone know about our new shop opening on Upperthorpe Road S6 3EB.

We will be opening on Thursday the 20th June,

If anyone has any questions or would like more information the don't hesitate to contact us. Our links to our Facebook page are below have a look

The Veg Patch

• 2 months later...
Although I wasn't born or raised in Upperthorpe, I did have connections there. My grandparents owned the sweet shop in Addy St opposite the cinema in the early 50's. My great grandmother lived in a big old house in Shipton Street. It had several cellars which made an ideal shelter during the war. The family name is Needham. As a child visiting the area, by tram in those days, I remember walking up Albert Terrace Rd., past the Upperthorpe Tabernacle. I also recall a lady named Vera Boot, who was great at wallpapering. I think they lived in Addy Street too.

I lived on Shipton Street at no. 6 we were a big family of six girls, our name was Ironside.....

• 7 months later...