Carling Academy Information Anyone???

Mapoo

I just wish they could get the doors sorted. Last night, doors open at 6.30 supposedly. Sell out gig. I eventually got inside about 7.45.

Support band had already started (main act came on at 820, so I'm guessing I missed a fair bit of the support act). It's bloody winter and cold. No-one wants to stand outside for an hour or more.

While I'm in my whinging mood......

I was going to buy 2 tickets for a gig on the internet through the Academy site. Tickets £18.50, processing charge £1.50 (which is to pick them up at the booking office) and £4.62 service charge.

I was walking past there today and decided to just call in and get them. £37 in total.

So I have to pay £6.12 extra just to order them off the internet, even though I have to pick them up at the same place.

The Plug only charge 50p extra by the way.

I'll have a whinge about this venue too, went to see Complete Stone Roses on 6th Dec with my husband. Just before the band came on he nipped to the toilet, 10 minutes past and he still wasn't back, OK maybe there was a queue, 20 minutes passed, the band had come on and he was still nowhere to be seen, so I start to panic, I eventually find him stood outside. The bouncers had thrown him out because get this the bloke in the toilet next to him had been smoking! Yeah when my husband came out of the cubical the boucers were there and says to him "you've been smoking, your leaving" so my husband told them it was the bloke next door and so the bouncers dragg him out and then turn to my husband and say "your going anyway" So I was left in there with no money, my husband had left his phone at home by mistake and so I couldn't contact him, when I did find him I obviously left with him. £20 down the drain, I have complained and they are "looking into it"

I'll have a whinge about this venue too, went to see Complete Stone Roses on 6th Dec with my husband. Just before the band came on he nipped to the toilet, 10 minutes past and he still wasn't back, OK maybe there was a queue, 20 minutes passed, the band had come on and he was still nowhere to be seen, so I start to panic, I eventually find him stood outside. The bouncers had thrown him out because get this the bloke in the toilet next to him had been smoking! Yeah when my husband came out of the cubical the boucers were there and says to him "you've been smoking, your leaving" so my husband told them it was the bloke next door and so the bouncers dragg him out and then turn to my husband and say "your going anyway" So I was left in there with no money, my husband had left his phone at home by mistake and so I couldn't contact him, when I did find him I obviously left with him. £20 down the drain, I have complained and they are "looking into it"

Yes, the security are idiots. Aggressive and unhelpful.

I was going to buy 2 tickets for a gig on the internet through the Academy site. Tickets £18.50, processing charge £1.50 (which is to pick them up at the booking office) and £4.62 service charge.

I was walking past there today and decided to just call in and get them. £37 in total.

So I have to pay £6.12 extra just to order them off the internet, even though I have to pick them up at the same place.

The Plug only charge 50p extra by the way.

What's the cheapest way of buying Academy tickets (i.e. not being ripped off with greedy service charges?!!) Does Jack's sell tickets for all the gigs? If picking up from the Academy, is it open during the day? Do they charge less for cash or debit rather than credit cards?

I'd like to get tickets for Elbow in March and for the Specials in April but they're not available on Ticketweb - advice much appreciated.

What's the cheapest way of buying Academy tickets (i.e. not being ripped off with greedy service charges?!!) Does Jack's sell tickets for all the gigs? If picking up from the Academy, is it open during the day? Do they charge less for cash or debit rather than credit cards?

I'd like to get tickets for Elbow in March and for the Specials in April but they're not available on Ticketweb - advice much appreciated.

Go to the venue. The box office is on the right. They had The Specials tickets in there yesterday, nearly bought some but had just spent over £200 on other tickets and good sense kicked in. I paid cash and got the tickets at the face value, ie no service charge or booking fee. No idea if the lad made a mistake or if that is correct. Jacks have to charge extra, they actually have a piece on the wall explaining how the charges are set by the Academy and not them.

Sorry don't know opening times for the box office, I just went midday ish on wednes, I have a feeling they aren't open for as long on a saturday, cos I know I've turned up and it's been closed before now.

I think the Academy is a corporate sh**hole!

Attended to watch the Quireboys in the small venue with its' hideous lighting (4 halogen lamps over the bar and not much else); that awful non-slip carpet that sticks to your feet like treacle and........

I've mentioned before..........the band finishes it's set and they are there immediately: "would you mind moving over there" herding the punters like sheep towards the doors.

OK, owt for a quiet life, you move over to finish off your last, JUST BOUGHT pint and it's: " can you get you drinks off please?" to be repeated 2 minutes later

OK let's get out but let's recycle the beer before hitting the cold night air.

We are in the Gents in mid-stream and the same clown appears " can you hurry up there?" I advised him that all this establishment wanted ,was to take the punters' money, sell them drinks and tell them to p**s off the micro-second the gig finished and that I objected to being herded about like a farm animal on its way to milking (OK maybe I was being milked!)

This only made the d**head smirk

A Corporate sh**hole!

Spike, take your band elsewhere on your next visit to Sheffield

Archived