Carling Academy Information Anyone???

Mapoo

I can't stand this venue. I've been 3 times - each was disappointing...the bands were amazing but it was ruined by 1. Unfriendly, agressive, pretensious doormen/security...rude and herd you out as soon as the gigs done so they can get punters in for transmission or whatever else they put on after...the prodigy gig finished at 11 for christ sake! At pendulum I even saw the security confiscate glowsticks from someone...2. No pass outs for smoking or fresh air! 3. At prodigy i was on the balcony - which i was not informed of when buying the tickets...I didnt find out till they came in the post...which also meant 4 of us were on the balcony and 2 on the floor...im 5''3 and couldnt see a damn thing until i finally squeezed my way to the front for the last few songs. Unless you are on the front row you will not see anything...even if you are of normal height! Bearing in mind there are about 5 rows of people on the balcony. I think its disgusting that they heard people up there knowing full well they wont be able to see the ****ing gig!

All in all its a nasty corporate venue with an awful atmosphere run by people who seemingly know nothing about music or gigs and what people want. In the future Id sooner go further afield to manchester or leeds if there was someone i really wanted to see.

Just an update to my ealier post, the boucer who threw my husband out as not been sacked or so we've been told and another got a written warning and me and my husband can go on the guest list for another concert

sounds like a trap :suspect::hihi:

Only joking - at least they appear to have taken the right action.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see cascada last november and it was brilliant, we were standing and really enjoyed it as we got to be really close to the stage and the atmosphere in the crowd was amazing!, definitely recommend standing!! though I haven't been balcony before so I can't compare but if I go to another event then I'm going standing again.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for all your messages, I am thinking of going to see N-Dubz, just but i'm taking someone who's 14 and she isn't that tall... It's mainly for her this gig, as she loves them.

Just need the best bit hehe for her to see... I don't drink myself "we would just be going to see the concert" so drinks isn't a problem lol...

The last time I went to a Standing event, I went to the "Octagon Center" to see Cascada, it was all standing and the floor get's very sticky with Beer and Plastic bottles all over... but it was a great night... Just very crowded... I'm not sure on this "O2 Academy"... There's good & bad comments hehe...

Whilst I've slated the Academy on another thread about their club nights, you can't really fault their live music in the main room (the small room upstairs is another matter). The city has needed a venue like that for years with the Leadmill/Plug being too small for some bands, Octagon is like watching a band in a sports hall and Arena is well... an Arena.

I'd definitely go for the floor, generally good viewing everywhere but I always nip round to the far side, a lot less congested. I agree with another poster about drinks throwing, never understood why people do it and you do seem to get it worse there than in other venues, no idea why.

Archived