Tenant Insurance

trip2e

Hello Mates,

Is that compulsary and required to have tenant insurance for a new tenant before in occupies flat.

I was surprised to see my letting company asking for Tenant Insurance ( migh be 15 Pounds a month ) and was forced to sign the agreement as I have already paid my registration fees. They said it has became compulsary for every tenant to pay it from last 2 -3 months across country.

Please help me in this matter as I feel decieved and cheated by my leting company.

Cheers !

I believe it is recommended, as if any damage occurs it will be covered; thus protecting your bond. I'm not sure if it is compulsory for all tenants to have though, but you definitely can shop around for it.

Does your contract state that you will take out insurance?

yah my contract said I have to have it, but it was a surprise to me as Letting company didnot communicated to me this before gvingthem the registration fees. I feel cheated by them.. I sometime thinks we are sorrounded by crooks all around just finding ways to decieve you .. without thinking that they cannot bribe God in end ..

Can I defer the clause and say I will not take tenant insurance ?

There is nothing to state in law that you must get contents insurance. Your landlord MUST pay the buildings insurance however. If your estate agency has entered your bond into a scheme which requires you to take out contents insurance then ask them to put in one which does not. It is up to you entirely if you want to insure your goods - it has nothing to do with them. If their furniture is in the property then they should cover it - not you. Your contract should cover you for 'reasonable' wear and tear so you should be fine.

Archived