Cigarette displays in shops

Not sure how it will affect the shops selling cigs, but I'd be suprised if it did anything to reduce number of young smokers.

Youngsters take up smoking (IMO) because of peer pressure and/or family smoking. Once they decide they want to try/continue smoking they will continue to smoke. They had to ask for cigs at the shop before, they will continue to have to ask (or use vending machines not affected by this change.....).

Seems like another pointless ban from our government to me.

It's been announced today that shops will stop displaying cigarettes on their shelves, but vending machines will not be banned.

I'm a trainee journalist from the University of Sheffield and would like to speak to someone directly affected by/invoved with smoking and its effects.

I'd be interested to speak to someone with health problems as a result of smoking, to see what they think about the ban.

Feel free to message me.

Thanks very much,

Esme.

Yeah, it could be a one off expensive ruling for small shop owners if they had to replace cabinets, so something along the lines of a pull down blind in front of existing cabinets should be allowed.

I'm anti smoking, but small businesses in the current climate shouldn't be forced to fork out for changes in the law.

Archived