Cigarette displays in shops

the government are tinkering again, making minor laws that will cost small business people money, making minor laws that dont actually do anything except criminise law abiding people.

Why do they say they want this law? To stop underage smoking? Or to encourage people to give up?

If that is their wish, i have a solution. Ban the sale of cigarettes! Oh but wait that would mean the government not collecting £9 Billion in taxes from smokers while demonising smokers at the same time.

Just out of interest this law was bought in to the state of Queensland Australia) 2006. They are only allowed to show a very small percentage of the cigerattes(top row) the idea is that children see the coloured packets and are attracted to them like sweets (Queensland Gov) the rest are all covered up with a grey slip in cover.

They are now talking about the same law in N.S.W. I agree I think if they don't want you to smoke ban the sale of them, they won't though they make too much money from the tax.:(

It's a stupid idea. What will they come up with next I wonder...will they decide that alcohol has to go under the counter too to stop underage kids from buying that? :loopy:

Well I don't think it will stop the under age smoking and we groaned when the law was brought in.Alcohol isn't sold in most States in supermarkets. Lots of drive through bottle shops though and I think that is mad.

Well I don't think it will stop the under age smoking and we groaned when the law was brought in.Alcohol isn't sold in most States in supermarkets. Lots of drive through bottle shops though and I think that is mad.

In the UK alcohol is sold in supermarkets & off-licenses where they also sell tobacco products, sweets/crisps etc.

Ban the things outright...why the parties don't have the political willpower to do this is beyond me..and I smoke! Yeah we'll climb a few walls for a week or two...so what!

:thumbsup:

my bold.. :hihi: nice touch Alien

The just can't say no....... to the taxes they receive.

Archived