Cigarette displays in shops

I remember off-licenses and did wonder if it made a difference to kids buying alcohol. They don't have that sort of shop here but it doesn't seem to make any difference to under age drinking.
Your shops are even easier than here in UK, you don't even have to get out of the car, just press the button to open the boot and they load it up, they'd love that here.

When I was in Sweden a few months ago I saw the system they have there called System Bolaget where they have shops and small supermarkets run by the government selling alcoholic drinks. No one else other than bars and restaurants can sell alcohol. The Bolaget shops are open normal hours such as 9 to 5 and less at weekends and there is no advertising for them even in the shop where various wines spirits and beers are on shelves in order of price. They are very busy. This is supposed to stop impulse buying and help stop Scandinavia's big drink problem but like all prohibition it just creates black market as is seen in other over regulated, high demand, products and services such as tobacco, drugs and sex trades

Your shops are even easier than here in UK, you don't even have to get out of the car, just press the button to open the boot and they load it up, they'd love that here.

When I was in Sweden a few months ago I saw the system they have there called System Bolaget where they have shops and small supermarkets run by the government selling alcoholic drinks. No one else other than bars and restaurants can sell alcohol. The Bolaget shops are open normal hours such as 9 to 5 and less at weekends and there is no advertising for them even in the shop where various wines spirits and beers are on shelves in order of price. They are very busy. This is supposed to stop impulse buying and help stop Scandinavia's big drink problem but like all prohibition it just creates black market as is seen in other over regulated, high demand, products and services such as tobacco, drugs and sex trades

It is easier here< I am not a smoker and I can't understand the tirade against cigarettes over alcohol. I love British pubs and I would have to say that it is better for me that they have stopped the smoking, however why can't they have a place for the smokers in the pubs?

I did'nt know that had such a big problem in Scandinavia with alcohol. They have problems here, drink driving being a huge problem. Young people dying like flys on the roads. They should deal with that over cigarettes imo.

I did'nt know that had such a big problem in Scandinavia with alcohol. They have problems here, drink driving being a huge problem. Young people dying like flys on the roads. They should deal with that over cigarettes imo.

It's the long nights in winter that make them drink. In the System Bolaget shops I mentioned, the booze is put into plain purple carrier bags and all the places you might expect people to be drinking in cities such as under bridges and on river embankment have these purple bags floating about, proving that they have same problems as anywhere else.

• 1 year later...
Now this really is going too far! Do the anti-smoking brigade really think they can get away with this? Why should cigeretts not be desplayed on shelves like every other product in a shop?

I wouldn't want to upset your rant but the anti smoking brigade don't make laws, governments do. In this case the MPs in the House of Commons passed this into law in October 2009. Tough luck old chap. Its called democracy.

Most products in a shop are not poisonous. Most of the ones that are poisonous are not actually designed in such a way that getting poisoned by them is the whole purpose of the exercise.

Such as alcohol?

I wouldn't want to upset your rant but the anti smoking brigade don't make laws, governments do. In this case the MPs in the House of Commons passed this into law in October 2009. Tough luck old chap. Its called democracy.

I didn't say it was up to the the anti smoker brigade, but it is these ridiculous people who push these pointless ideas forward!

Archived