What do you think of Heroin Addicts?

sorry to hear of your problems ,but your analisis is nonsence . alcohol and heroin are totally different problems and not to be compared together .

They are not my problems alex......

The analysis is not nonsense to the person I support. Addiction is addiction is addiction.

Both are destructive in their own way.....both ruin lives, relationships and whatever else comes into their path.

I must say here that there is nothing glamorous about either. Seeing a smack head waiting in line for methadone is no more shocking to me than seeing young people queueing for cheap alcohol at Tesco's on West Street. The difference is one is legally available without prescription or question.

Hey Julado,

There's a whole order of difference between alcohol addiction and heroin addiction.

When alcohol is made illegal there's a totally different set of crimes associated with the prohibition.

Typically alcohol addicts will not commit the crimes against the person that heroin addicts are willing to commit to get their drug of choice.

Heroin is an all consuming drug. Have you ever tried it and realised its power?

Alastair - alcoholic addicts may not commit crimes on people in order to get more. But alcohol addicts, and even people who drink occasionally, cause far more crime than heroin addicts.

- Michael

Do you mean more individual crime figures Hallamton?

I would guess that alcohol does create more crime numbers, but the cost of crime from an average heroin addict, can mount into thousands. (to fund say a £14,000pa habit).

Without quoting statistics (mainly because I'm too lazy to walk across the room to get them :P) there is far more crime caused from the effects of alcohol. It could range from vandalism, violence etc. Although crimes that are associated with heroin are more severe like theft to fund their next fix, the crimes happen a lot less.

You've got to remember that millions of people drink alcohol every day whereas the amount of heroin users are much, much smaller.

(Sorry waffled a bit)

-Michael

Without quoting statistics (mainly because I'm too lazy to walk across the room to get them :P) there is far more crime caused from the effects of alcohol. It could range from vandalism, violence etc. Although crimes that are associated with heroin are more severe like theft to fund their next fix, the crimes happen a lot less.

You've got to remember that millions of people drink alcohol every day whereas the amount of heroin users are much, much smaller.

(Sorry waffled a bit)

-Michael

Likewise, I haven't got stats to hand.

My point doesn't really need them, I'm happy to use the stereotype :hihi:

Crimes and costs per average heroin addict, compare to crimes and costs to average person who occasionally drinks, or regularly drinks.

This was my point agreeing with Alastair. The two drugs are quite incomparable.

Alastair - alcoholic addicts may not commit crimes on people in order to get more. But alcohol addicts, and even people who drink occasionally, cause far more crime than heroin addicts.

- Michael

I accept that more crime is commited by alcohol addicts than is comitted by heroin addicts. I would argue thet it is because there are far more alcohol addicts the heroin addicts, simply because alcohol is so easily available.

I don't think the drugs are incomparable. They both impare the user and cause them to do illegal acts.

I think your point, although very stereotypical :P, still isn't necessarily correct. If we were going by stereotypes...a heroin addict commits crimes for a motive (to get more heroin) so after they've committed for example a theft of someones wallet, they'll cease their criminal behaviour for their habit. An alcohol "user" gets drunk and their crimes are more random and usually unmotivated. I've also known people to get into several fights and vandalise each time they go out.

If you also look at the language I've used, it differs slightly. I've referred to heroid addicts and just alcohol "users". This is because from what I've learnt, people who take heroin just once or twice aren't addicts - and they don't usually commit crime to get heroin unless they are. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you're more likely to commit crimes with heroin if you're an addict. Where as alcohol related crime can be done by anyone at anytime who doesn't have an addiction. They can simply have 1 pint too many on the odd night and cause a lot of trouble.

I wouldn't say that there are more alcohol addicts compared to heroin addicts because of accessibility either. I've lived in a few areas around the country and it's never been a problem getting drugs like cannabis and it's the same with harder drugs too. I'd say there are less heroin addicts because there is a lot more negativity with that rather than alcohol addicts.

Well if the 2 thieving 'scrotes' who just broke into my car are addicts I hope that the 'smack' they score from the sale of my personal effects is so tainted that it causes them to never need another 'fix'.

I realise that there are many lilly livered liberals out there who make excuses for these oxygen thieves, but it really is time we just locked them up for a very long time and made them go cold turkey (especially with Christmas coming up); either that or legalise heroin. Then let them take as much as they want.

Seroiusly I know that some kids are easily led, and some are 'forced' into taking heroin, and that for a lot of these folk treatment is possible. However I also think that once you're an addict, you'll always be an addict; even if you never take it again. I think that addicts should be given a chance, or maybe even two to sort themselves out; but in my opinion it should be three strikes and you're out. No more methadone, no more re-hab, no more softly softly. Just hard time.

Archived