What do you think of Heroin Addicts?

Heroin in and of itself doesn't cause that many problems, beyond the quiet tragedies of lethal overdoses and wasted lives; the really damaging thing is the black market that controls its distribution. It's the black market that allows drug barons to charge whatsoever they like for their product (a £20 baggie costs about 50p to produce) and it's the combination of high black market prices and hideous withdrawal symptoms that drive addicts to robbery to fund their next fix.

I don't think that ferociously addictive opiates like heroin should be freely available to everyone, but giving those already addicted the stuff on prescription means two things: addicts won't need to steal and drug lords will stop making millions. If the NHS were to buy the stuff at inflated prices from impoverished Afghan farmers then the Taleban's support base would dry up, too. Two birds, one stone!

I don't think that ferociously addictive opiates like heroin should be freely available to everyone, but giving those already addicted the stuff on prescription means two things: addicts won't need to steal and drug lords will stop making millions. If the NHS were to buy the stuff at inflated prices from impoverished Afghan farmers then the Taleban's support base would dry up, too. Two birds, one stone!

Yes. The problem at present is that having free methadone on prescription at present isn't too successful because the dealers are still pushing heroin onto those addicts as well even when they are trying to get off it but are still very vulnerable. We have to get rid of the dealers.

Legalising anything won't make the issues go away.

If they can't afford it when it's illegal they can't afford it when its legal. If they were to legalise heroin the only change would be in opinion and social stigma.

Please tell me he's been sarcastic when he says that...

I think we've had this discussion before. Legalising heroin would drastically reduce it's consumption because there would be no one pushing weaker members of the community into using it in return for massive amounts of ill gotten cash. That is the issue behind heroin use, not the users themselves, they are the symptoms. I do think that you yourself seem to have your opinion based on the stigma of it being illegal and only on that.

That would reduce the crime of being a dealer and also of illegal drug use. It wouldn't stop the drug use. Or is that not the point?

I'm all fo rhelping addicts as previously stated about rehabs etc - but legalising H won't encourage anyone to stop using .

That would reduce the crime of being a dealer and also of illegal drug use. It wouldn't stop the drug use. Or is that not the point?

I'm all fo rhelping addicts as previously stated about rehabs etc - but legalising H won't encourage anyone to stop using .

As others and myself have said time and time again, dealers use all kinds of tactics to push people into taking illegal drugs when they wouldn't otherwise have even considered it because they make such huge sums of money from it. Getting rid of the incentive for people to produce and sell drugs is the only way that drug use can be reduced, although it will never be stopped completely. Telling people of the dangers hasn't worked because of the huge pressures put onto young people to use drugs and unfortunately there are a lot of people who are taken in by the dealers who will start off by giving it away and telling the new user that such a small amount won't be addictive when it is. A lot of these dealers don't even use drugs themselves.

Personally i think heroin addicts are a 2 way story reason being i respect the 1s that are strong enough to get off heroin I was previously a drug dependant user (amphetamine) and i know altho this isnt as bad as heroin it was immensily difficult to free myself up from this it took me ages to get off it and alot of it wasnt because I enjoyed it, it was because of how i felt and dependant id become on drugs some dont deserve the time of the day because they dont want help they do it leisurely and actually enjoy it puzzles me why but back to the topic the 1s who want help shouldnt be frowned upon because its not a habbit its a illness that needs help and support not bad views and immense criticism altho some may seem im biased as I was previously a drug user.

As others and myself have said time and time again, dealers use all kinds of tactics to push people into taking illegal drugs when they wouldn't otherwise have even considered it because they make such huge sums of money from it. Getting rid of the incentive for people to produce and sell drugs is the only way that drug use can be reduced, although it will never be stopped completely. Telling people of the dangers hasn't worked because of the huge pressures put onto young people to use drugs and unfortunately there are a lot of people who are taken in by the dealers who will start off by giving it away and telling the new user that such a small amount won't be addictive when it is. A lot of these dealers don't even use drugs themselves.

Perhaps we should increase the social stigma associated with drug taking?

Instead of Oh they were abused, Oh they were from a broken home. As a society we even support known drug users to advertise commodities for the youth of today.

The morally correct way is to remove the users thorugh assistance and support networks - leagilisung drugs will just make it open season for everyone wanting to try it - which will just overload the NHS when they can't kick a legal habit.

Instead of Oh they were abused, Oh they were from a broken home. As a society we even support known drug users to advertise commodities for the youth of today.

I haven't said anything like that although some come from such backgrounds it's not everyone by any means. My opinion of drug users is based on the experiences of what were perfectly "ordinary, normal" people I know who were naively lured into it by wicked dealers expoiting their weakness and have now ruined their own and others lives.

Archived