A Sheffield artist named Peter Owen Jones

Redfyre

Pleased to see that you have now almost completed the set, for they are certainly superb pictures, and I envy you. I am still searching for a number --the Brightside tram terminus is one that delights me whenever I see it, for I can associate with that scene from my childhood! I haven't looked back on this site for some time, but I presume you have been to the POJ website.

The Brightside one is available on the POJones website but the one I'm after isn't.

I bought 'Terminus' sometime ago, and it never palls. I absolutely love that painting and I'm not really a aficionado of art. I've got a few prints including 'Winter Crossing' by POJ, but 'Terminus is the one. I honestly think that the great Turner would've been proud of that, if he'd painted it. Some may laugh at that but that's what I think. A wonderful piece of work.
I'm so pleased to read that, because iirc I originally found you the POJ site after reading your (hazy) memory of the painting? I'm really pleased that you love the scene so much. His paintings are so evocative of the time, and bring back so many memories, don''t they?

If his children ever decided to produce either cards or postcards again, I'd be more than honoured to stock them. A few years ago I managed to get hold of a few dozen cards of George Cunningham's Fulwood Terminus with tram in snow and they absolutely flew out!

I've seen Peter's work before, I think that it's very good. Who owns the print rights to the originals by the way, and the actual originals? Peter was a far more accomplished artist than (with respect) Scarborough, Gorman and Cunningham, maybe it's time for a revival.

I really envy the likes of Peter, when I'm dead the memory of me will last as long as my son lives, folk could very well be talking about Peter in a couple of hundred years time.

Don't let this thread die, Peter is as much a part of Sheffield as the City Hall. :thumbsup:

I have some prints that I am willing to sell including 'Sheaf Street' and 'Coles Corner' if anyone is interested.

These belonged to my parents and my Dad really loved these pictures. I just haven't enough wall space and it seems a shame for them not to be appreciated.

I have some prints that I am willing to sell including 'Sheaf Street' and 'Coles Corner' if anyone is interested.

These belonged to my parents and my Dad really loved these pictures. I just haven't enough wall space and it seems a shame for them not to be appreciated.

How much are you asking?

• 3 months later...

Archived