First Bus Fares Up 8% On Jan 3, 2009

Jozafeen

From today's Star:

"SOUTH Yorkshire's biggest bus company today announced it is increasing fares by an average of eight per cent in the new year.

First is putting up its prices despite falling oil prices - because it bulk-bought its fuel for next year in the summer, when the cost was high.

But the rise also follows a hefty increase in First Group's UK profits and despite its South Yorkshire arm already charging more than some of the firm's other British bus subsidiaries.

From January 3, single fares will increase by 10p, day tickets by 50p to £4.50 for travel across the county or £4 for travel only in Sheffield, Rotherham or Doncaster.

Weekly tickets will rise by £1, while monthly tickets will rise from £54 to £60 in Sheffield, and from £50 to £54 in Rotherham and Doncaster."

Full feature here

Typical that when fuel prices are falling, First are increasing fares!

Blimey, really???

I had the misfortune to need to get a bus into town last week (from the University to Leopold Street - I have a leg injury or else I'd have jogged down there!) and it was £1.10!! ONE POUND TEN!!! :-O

It's been a while since I had to use the buses but my god, I'm not going to bother ever again!

Become a police officer, Postman, ambassader, PTE employee, OAP, get a disability, get some anti aging cream to look under 16 for 40p fare, Councillor, Work for Stagecoach, Supertram, or First, lose your job and get a free travel pass, or just ask for a cheaper fare and over ride.

Do any of the above and you will aviod any increase or indeed not pay at all.

Blimey, really???

I had the misfortune to need to get a bus into town last week (from the University to Leopold Street - I have a leg injury or else I'd have jogged down there!) and it was £1.10!! ONE POUND TEN!!! :-O

It's been a while since I had to use the buses but my god, I'm not going to bother ever again!

Dont get on the tram then it would have been £1.20!

Christ, really?!?! What I don't get is why groups of 4 people in the queue for a bus/tram don't share a taxi instead, and go directly to where they want to be - it would be cheaper!

I have often thought about that too.

We always use a taxi at night if a group of us go out so why don't we simply form work groups of 4 or 5. It would take some initial work arranging the groups, keeping safe finish times etc but it would be better than the busses with the poor customer service and ever increasing fares. It would put more taxis on the road I suppose, but it might reduce car journeys and parking charges.

In these days of internet connections surely there could be an arranging website.

Now why oh why does this not suprise me, the council keep on saying they want us out of our cars and into buses, but only people who can afford a car can soon afford to ride a bus, im sorry but the costs are just getting stupid now, if sheffield wants to promote bus usage above cars, then at least force the bus companies to make it affordable to all, or else the car will win all the time on a cost per mile ratio

Archived