Oatcake & piklet shop

ali63

trying to find out about an oatcake and piklet shop that was at the tram terminus walkey (think its south road) my dad's Aunt & Uncle ran it before during and after ww1. Their names were Kate & James(Jim) Spooner. His mum used to help out there when she was a girl

Originally posted by ali63

trying to find out about an oatcake and piklet shop that was at the tram terminus walkey (think its south road) my dad's Aunt & Uncle ran it before during and after ww1. Their names were Kate & James(Jim) Spooner. His mum used to help out there when she was a girl

Click This

• 7 months later...

Piklets, just for the record, are crumpets with the little holes to allow melted butter to trickle in, an oatcake, as the name sugests, was made from crushed oats and was flat like a pancake.

Oatcakes would be toasted and eaten with butter and jam, or could even be eaten with a savory spread, a very famous pikelet and oatcake shop used to be on Division St a few yards further up from the old firestation.

Unlike buying crumpets from your local Morrisons etc, they were made fresh in front of your eyes while you waited for them, the smell was something to die for! I think this shop was there untill the late 60s, or early 70s.

Archived