Oatcake & piklet shop

ali63

I was a lad in the 40's and we always had pikelets from this shop, they were much better than todays offerings. you could watch the mixture being spread out on the hotplate and cooked.

I used to be a paper lad at the newsagent practically next door and also a little later used to work at the fruitshop a few doors down and also go out with a barrow delivering the vegatables all over the area, Bole Hill Road , Tinker lane especially.

I used to go to the School at Bole Hill until I left for the Central Technical School about 1952/53.

I used to live just down Walkley Road on Palm Lane.

You have brought back some happy memories

Terryp

• 2 years later...

I've just found this thread (following a search for pikelet, after having my memory jogged by another thread).

In the late 50s and up to at least the mid sixties (and I think beyond), the shop on South Road was owned by a Mrs Milnes, and I think that was the official name of the shop. But everybody just called it "The Pikelet Shop". It was at the Walkley Road end of South Road, practically opposite the Library. It was about the 4th or 5th shop along - it was the last shop having a proper shop window, before they changed to normal houses, with normal house windows. (Although about three houses further on was another shop, Sauls, but still with a small house-style window. Sauls deserves a thread of its own. It sold bacon, black puddings, poloney etc, as well as loose cheese, loose butter and loose lard. It was a deli 50 years before delis had been invented. Until a few years ago, and maybe still now, you could see old painted evidence of it being a shop on the lintel above the window).

I remember the pikelet shop's big hotplate, against the wall behind the counter. They cooked pikelets in little rings (so to me this is a pikelet not a crumpet, and anything cooked without a ring, and therefore flatter and a bigger diameter, can never be a pikelet). Soon after pouring the mixture on to the hotplate, the holes would appear in the top. They also made oatcakes on the same hotplate. I also remember the shop selling little cheese biscuits. These had been cooked in big sheets (not on the premises) with moulded indented lines, so they would easily break into little rectangles, not much bigger than a stamp.

Edit: I forgot to mention. It's a while since I've been past, but I think it is now an Indian Take Away.

Yup, its an Indian take away now, my mom used to take me in the picklet shop and I used to watch them being poured and made, wow delicious. Across the road at the last shop before the library, do you remember the chinese laundry. We used to take my dads collars there for starching, when done they were like files on your neck.

What about the milk shop, anybody remember that, it was second shop up from Walkley Road, Butchers shop was on the corner, then the fruit shop, then newsagents, then picklet shop. All gone now but lots of memories of South Road. Bob Clarkes Fish Shop, opposite St Marys. It was open at the front with loads of fish laid out and stacks of eggs with the little lion stamped on them and then there was the game hung up on the chrome bars at the back. Must go the lamps swinging too much might fall down, but what about sneaking into the Walkley Paladium, one paid opened exit door, in sneaks two others?, The lass in blue with a torch then chases you out. Remember?

I went to BoleHill School for about one term but then went to Morley Street, I beleive it was because they had the best swimming facilities at Hillsborough and I was a good swimmer. Those days hey.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a Pikelet shop near the swimming baths near a hospital on Winter street and the chest ward was the closest to the street so all you could hear was endless coughing. It was the saying in our house that if you had a cough you could expect the comment "god it sounds like winter street in here'. Anyway the Pikelets were the big treat after the Chlorine dip at the local baths.

• 1 year later...
There was a Pikelet shop near the swimming baths near a hospital on Winter street and the chest ward was the closest to the street so all you could hear was endless coughing. It was the saying in our house that if you had a cough you could expect the comment "god it sounds like winter street in here'. Anyway the Pikelets were the big treat after the Chlorine dip at the local baths.

There was one near City Rd swimming baths, oatcake or pikelet in the summer or a dodgy hot pie in the winter, tasted perfect after cold swimming baths even though I had dodgy guts after a couple of times.

Archived