Where best for a gay gal new to town to meet new people

watchcoll

i have just moved to sheffield because of work, and was wondering if anyone could tell me where best to go to meet gay/lesbian/bi people in shef. at the minute i barely know anyone here, let alone any other lesbians. and dont feel friendly enough to be dragging my new work friends out to gay bars after only a week of knowing them...!

i know it sounds silly, but i dont want to get stuck in a trap of being gay and only having straight friends, it does my sanity no good

Here is the Sheffield Gay Scene Thread to start..........

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=395896

There are several Gay bars in the city, none strictly for lesbians though I am afraid, here is a quick run down of events/bars.

Bars/Clubs

Lions Lair Burgess St, by Embrace and John Lewis. Funky Gay pub, best known for its almost legendary after parties 3am till 6am. But open from 5pm till 12 pm 7 days. Then Friday and Saturday from 3am till 6am. It is also the only gay bar with a private heated decked area for smoking, as opposed to being on the streets! (PS, I own it before someone points out I may be biased!)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=8834383852

http://www.dannybreeze.com/page11.htm

Dempseys at the bottom of the Moor, A Lions Lair staff favourite, 2 floors. With downstairs being more of a bar and upstairs being a cocktail bar and more nightclub like. Friendly staff and a nice 'local' feel to it.

Sanctuary, a new bar, by the Cathedral. Quite big, with nice decor.

Affinity, on campo lane, more of a bar than nightclub.

XES, a late night bar in Attercliffe open Thurs thru Sunday 10pm till 6am

Events.

Climax, at the Sheffield Uni. Probably the biggest once a month event in Sheffield.

Joosee, launches this week on Saturday at Penelopes by the Odeon in town.

Rah Rah Rah, was at the Cutler, now at DQ, apparently moving to Sanctuary soon.

Tease, Hallam Uni's version of Climax, only the second event this Saturday. At the HUBS.

Speedqueen at Redroom, a more electro type night £10 entry, once a month.

Dannybreeze.com runs a news update page with all the events and things to do also updated regularly.

http://www.dannybreeze.com/page2.htm

I know what you mean its can be hard to make new gays friends in a new city. There are not that many social groups I am aware of although I have seen a gay dining group advertised in the paper. Climax is the next big night this weekend which is supposed to be good, am in a similar situation to you but would happily join forces sometime.

best thing to do is make a gaydar.com profile, and chat to people on there, try and find some friend groups to attach yourself to... if you dont have gay friends its hard to get into the scene... catch 22 i guess.

im sure you will find people on here (scaredstiff for example) who will meet for booze etc!

and hello and welcome by the way lol

Matt

thanks scaredstiff, glad to know i am not the only one in this situation, and charliechalk you are very right about the catch 22!!

thanks for the replies, makes me think all is not lost!!

scaredstiff, i would love to meet up for a drink if you are available, i tried to pm you but it wouldnt let me, summat about reducing spam?

i am quite eager to start exploring the gay scene in sheffield again, i was at uni here a few years back, then went home and am now back again, cant keep away! so much has changed since i was last here, where have all these high rises come from, sheffield reminds me of how manchester used to look about 4years ago, all scaffolding and cranes in the skyline!! that can only be a good thing i guess?

If you have a facebook profile, you could always join the groups on there, they send out messages for upcoming events (of course, I'm not a member of any of them ;)), you can also see who else is in the group and maybe arrange to meet up beforehand with them?

• 2 weeks later...
There are several Gay bars in the city, none strictly for lesbians though I am afraid,

Just to wish you a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year,a nd here are my reccommendations, contrary to what James believes, there are some well-known Lesbian haunts:

Lion's Lair, has a regular lesbian crowd, and you will see many on any day of the week.

Dempseys is popular with a hardcore of more mature lesbians, also many younger ones visit regularly, especially for the karaoke on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Club Xes, open until 6am on Fridays and Saturdays, tends to attract lesbians from about 1am onwards, as many party until very late at that venue.

Just to wish you a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year,a nd here are my reccommendations, contrary to what James believes, there are some well-known Lesbian haunts:

Lion's Lair, has a regular lesbian crowd, and you will see many on any day of the week.

Dempseys is popular with a hardcore of more mature lesbians, also many younger ones visit regularly, especially for the karaoke on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Club Xes, open until 6am on Fridays and Saturdays, tends to attract lesbians from about 1am onwards, as many party until very late at that venue.

Just to add one more, there is a GIRLS NIGHT specifically for women, every Wednesday at Sanctuary!

Archived