*n-a-d-s-n-y-m*

The fact that over the period the educational achievement of low income children in further education has increased more than that of other groups, increasing 3 fold. Suggests otherwise and that their barriers to higher education is related to their poverty not ability. Without subsidies we cannot and do not have a meritocracy.

linky please

I'm all for joke posts in return...if they were jokes, which they weren't.

My initial reply was certainly intended as a joke, and I read Fareast's reply in the same vein.

OK, I didn't fill the post with smilies to make it obvious.

Mea culpa.

4 weeks off over Christmas? I get 2 weeks and 3 days, in which I have to work. In that time I've got 11k words to write. This hasn't been an ongoing piece of work, since before then my previous hand-in dates were early december.

Doesn't having to work and study like this have an affect on your grades? And if it does, how do you feel about the students who get better grades because they don't have to do this, either because they have wealthy parents or are just taking on thousands of pounds worth of debt?

This isn't off topic - if working like this affects your grades, then it affects the outcome of the degree you are paying for, which may affect the level of income you get when you enter your chosen profession. And it may cause an anomaly where more intelligent hard-working students get worse grades than less intelligent and hard-working students who happen to have more cash available.

4 weeks off over Christmas? I get 2 weeks and 3 days, in which I have to work. In that time I've got 11k words to write. This hasn't been an ongoing piece of work, since before then my previous hand-in dates were early december.

I'm all for joke posts in return...if they were jokes, which they weren't.

Hang on, me violin is out of tune, give me a minute... :D

The fact that over the period the educational achievement of low income children in further education has increased more than that of other groups, increasing 3 fold. Suggests otherwise and that their barriers to higher education is related to their poverty not ability. Without subsidies we cannot and do not have a meritocracy.

This is completely unsupported by reality.

The cost of going into HE can be absorbed by loans that the student takes and not paid back until they are earning above a set level.

So how is poverty a barrier to entry apart from the lower educational standards achieved by children from low income households (not that we have any families living in poverty in the UK).

Exactly, and i'm sure our future doctors can afford the £10 a month repayment out of their salaries.

I know of cases where students from poorer familys have been awarded the top loan amount available, as it has been assessed on their parents earnings. So really they are at an advantage to students who maybe have slightly better off parents that don't pay towards their Uni costs.

Well, isn't it nice that there are supposed increase for tuition fees to £7k from £3k- 'to weedle out the timewasters'... I have no time for messing around as it is, and have a part time job (struggle to keep roof over head, and occasionally forced to constitute 12p noodles as a meal!), and was looking forward to only having £15k to pay off when I graduate- nothing like an extra 12 huh, to add flavour to the whole experience.

But yes, a load of uni peers do do absolutely sod all, shame we've all been tarnished by the same brush-

Oh for the days of entire student grants... how rude of us to moan about having to pay it back these days... :rolleyes:

Archived