Where do you worship in Sheffield?

Strix

Just out of curiosity, and provoked by a forumer mentioning a rock based service they attend in these parts, where do forumers and their nearest and dearest worship?

What is the 'church', what does it stand for and why do you/they go?

(come on, really sell it here ;) )

If you 'don't do' church, is there something else you 'religiously' devote your Sundays to?

this sounds a bit nancy.....

but, my garden is my church.

I spend a few hours there most weekends.

The new growth and nature that surrounds me is a much better representation of this world and what we should be thankful for than any preacher could present to me.

Nesting blue tits, wild flowers seeding themselves, blossom trees, bulbs appearing after the long darkness of winter. a little field mouse that tidies up the seeds dropped by the green finch.

a little oasis in a mad world:)

On a serious note I go to St Johns Church in Deepcar where i am on the sound & lighting team. Unfortunatley i dont get as much as i would like as most Sundays i go to Chesterfield to help with the Canal restoration.

My local church is St Luke's which is currently undergoing some large renovations. However, last Sunday I went to Fulwood church instead and I'm going to try and get to a service at Mayfield Chapel this Sunday. But my usual church, which I've been going to since 2002 - on and off admittedly - is St Luke's.

Wherever the service, it's an hour of thought, contemplation, apology and thankfulness. I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea....,

A couple of weeks ago I was at the Easter Sunday service at Boscastle in Cornwall, where the Reverand Christine Musser lead the service. She's the vicar out of A Seaside Parish (BBC2) and it was a top service in a most beautiful church and setting.

Loopylou - what you have written doesn't sound nancy at all. It's very true! (A lot of people claim to feel nearer to God - or god - when surrounded by the beauties of nature.)

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Loopylou - what you have written doesn't sound nancy at all. It's very true! (A lot of people claim to feel nearer to God - or god - when surrounded by the beauties of nature.)

I did do the sunday school thing when I was younger and went to a monthly family services at gleadless methodist chapel as a brownie and girl guide.

I have beliefs, that are quite personal to me, that don't seem to be catered for by any service I have been to. I don't get the same lift from a sermon or a hymn that I do from being outdoors. A good walk in the Peak District has always been more spiritual to me.

I don't know if its God (god) that I am feeling near to, but I know that some time appreciating nature makes me a better person. I feel tolerance to all things and thankful for everything that I have.

I was hoping these were the sort of answers I'd get :thumbsup:

LoupyLou - I agree.

Any pursuit that makes you feeling warm and calm, and leaves you feeling better towards others is the original aim of most religions. Some of them seem to have got lost along the way though :(

Can anybody posting about their church tell us why they really enjoy it? Even churches of the same denomination are very different and it would be nice to know what appeals about yours :thumbsup:

Archived