Blue John Stone

Thanks Heyesay Speedwell is the one I remember, where can I find info on the caverns as I would lve to revisit them when I come back to visit Yorkshire early next year.

Once again thanks because I will be going to Grindlefort to revit Little Johns Grave, Hathersage for a pint or to Baslow, Bamford to the Maquis of Grandby, Buxton, Baslow and Castleton

Don't get lost ..:) Little Johns grave is in Hathersage, not Grindleford. There were talk in the valley of turning the Marquis into luxury appartments like they have done with Bamford Mill and the waterboard offices by the ladybower. ..but I think it got turned down. Now they want to turn it into holiday appartments. They should do something with it, I have to drive by it every day and it's a mess with the roof falling in and broken windows :(

Thanks Heyesay Speedwell is the one I remember, where can I find info on the caverns as I would lve to revisit them when I come back to visit Yorkshire early next year.

Once again thanks because I will be going to Grindlefort to revit Little Johns Grave, Hathersage for a pint or to Baslow, Bamford to the Maquis of Grandby, Buxton, Baslow and Castleton

If you're visiting Bamford you wont need to do Speedwell cavern, as they are both vacuous holes filled with very little life!!

We're lucky to have such a gem as Castleton on our doorstep.

In winter you can visit the shops, go for a walk in the freezing cold and then return to one of the many fine pubs (esp. Bull's Head with its glorious open fire and comfy leather chairs). At Christmas the main road is decorated in beautifully lit trees. As you turn the corner at the Old Nag's Head you are confronted by this blaze of Christmas lights. And when it snows, wow, even better!

In summer, you can visit the caves, walk up the landslip road at Mam Tor, struggle up to Peveril Castle and admire the view...and then sit outside one of the many pubs and cool down. The Bull's Head has a wonderful beer garden round the back or there's the Castle and the George which both have good beer gardens/terraces.

And we can be there in 30 minutes. What a place.

Yes, Castleton truly is a gem - but why not use one of the b&bs instead of a pub to stay in - they're a lot quieter at night!!

And...Castleton IS the only place in the world where Blue John is found, rather like Whitby jet.

By the way, the term 'Devil's Arse' apparently came from Victorian times when it was known as 'Devil's bottom' - and its because of when the water level rises and then drops suddenly it makes a rude noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!