New arena in Leeds

Olec

The proposed Leeds Arena is due to be built near the Merrion Centre in Leeds and it will be an absolute nightmare in that area to park if you can fight your way through the traffic jams. The other option is to go by public transport and spend a couple of days or more on the round trip. I can't see anybody in their right mind wanting to go through that kind of nightmare more than once. A location like that will make getting in and out of the Sheffield Arena seem as though you are doing a trip to Meadowhall in the middle of the night. I don't think Sheffield will have all that much to worry about once people have tried Leeds.

But the crucible is already there and has been for years so doesn't really come into the equation. Personally I think if leeds want an arena build one but it should not be funded by Yorkshire forward.

Not the point at all - Betts and Brealey say that they are complaining about the funding of the project, rather than the fact that a new venue will be built, saying that Yorkshire Forward should not contribute to something which may have an impact on the revenue of a venue located here in Sheffield. If Betts isn't happy with with the principle of Yorkshire Forward funding a project in Leeds, then he should not be happy with the principle of them providing funding for Sheffield either.

The Crucible is in competition with theatres in Leeds, Bradford and York amongst others - so what's the difference? Is he also unhappy about the funding which Sheffield received from the Millennium Lottery for redevelopment of the Peace Gardens and the building of the Millennium Gallery amongst other projects? Should these works, in his opinion, also have been funded solely by the Council Tax payer?

As far as I am aware, the majority of funding for the Leeds Arena will be from the Council Tax payers of Leeds - Yorkshire Forward are contributing around £20m. towards a total cost of around £50m. The Crucible is receiving £16m. towards redevelopment costs.

...theres no way ppl from sheffield, barnsley n rotherham will treck up there.

Of course they will - in the same way that they will happily travel to Manchester MEN, Birmingham NEC etc.

And in the way that people from Leeds currently travel to visit the Sheffield Arena.

Not the point at all - Betts and Brealey say that they are complaining about the funding of the project, rather than the fact that a new venue will be built, saying that Yorkshire Forward should not contribute to something which may have an impact on the revenue of a venue located here in Sheffield. If Betts isn't happy with with the principle of Yorkshire Forward funding a project in Leeds, then he should not be happy with the principle of them providing funding for Sheffield either.

The Crucible is in competition with theatres in Leeds, Bradford and York amongst others - so what's the difference? Is he also unhappy about the funding which Sheffield received from the Millennium Lottery for redevelopment of the Peace Gardens and the building of the Millennium Gallery amongst other projects? Should these works, in his opinion, also have been funded solely by the Council Tax payer?

As far as I am aware, the majority of funding for the Leeds Arena will be from the Council Tax payers of Leeds - Yorkshire Forward are contributing around £20m. towards a total cost of around £50m. The Crucible is receiving £16m. towards redevelopment costs.

So Yorkshire Forward are paying 40% of the cost, thats quite a considerable subsidy. There is nothing to stop other theatres applying to Yorkshire Forward for backing for refurbishment costs, probably some have benefitted in the past.

Regarding lottery money, that is shared out and any city can apply for it.

the Leeds Arena will be for ppl from York, Bradford huddesfield etc, theres no way ppl from sheffield, barnsley n rotherham will treck up there. theres an arena of 15000 in nottingham and how often do we both to go down to that???
For the same reason, those people up there won't trek down to Sheffield so there is no competition. MEN arena in Manchester isn't much further from Leeds than Sheffield, or from Sheffield for that matter and I don't recall hearing any fuss about that. It's just typical Sheffield sour grapes as always.

For the same reason, those people up there won't trek down to Sheffield so there is no competition. MEN arena in Manchester isn't much further from Leeds than Sheffield, or from Sheffield for that matter and I don't recall hearing any fuss about that. It's just typical Sheffield sour grapes as always.

I think that the reason most people are objecting is because of Yorkshire Forward putting the money in, personally I think if Leeds want an arena then build one, as long as Yorkshire Forward are not paying into it.

I have no problem with Leeds having their own arena just as long as their council pay for it and Yorkshire Forward don't contribute.

I think there is room for both arenas,Liverpool's Arena is relatively recent and has attracted plenty of top bands even with it's proximity to Manchester.

Theres no reason why top bands can't visit both Sheffield and Leeds.

Top bands won't Visit Leeds, Sheffield and MEN arean, not in the same tour anyway. Very few bands play MEN and Sheffield at the same time.

If Leeds get an arena Sheffield can kiss goodbye to the quantity of line ups.

Archived