New arena in Leeds

Olec

Most of the whining about the funding of the prospective Leeds Arena seems to be coming from Clive Betts. Yorkshire Forward are also part-funding the redevelopment of the Crucible Theatre - do you think Betts will also be suggesting that this should not proceed as it may have an effect on the revenue of other theatres in Yorkshire?

As Clive Betts is a Sheffield MP it stands to reason that he should want to protect the interests of Sheffield first. Two major arenas 30 miles apart is just not feasible looking at the demographics of the two areas, especially in the midst of a credit crunch that may take many years to recover from.

Yeah, but there's a lot of good bands that aren't playing Sheffield that are playing the MEN

And vice versa but that has always happened, it happened when I used to go gigging every week in 70s when big name bands played in small venues and this big arena/stadium, money grabbing rubbish hadn't been invented, this new arena won't affect that.

The quality of gigs at Sheffield arena seems to have suffered anyway in recent years, reduced to mainly the Disney on ice type shows, lots of the bigger bands just play manchester anyway.

Leeds has been lacking an arena or large venue for years as someone has mentioned since Queens Hall got demolished. I tend to travel to where the gigs are, i've been up to leeds for a few in the past year (klaxons and blood red shoes) and down to Notts for a couple as well (Weller and Brand New Heavies) - you go where the bands play. It's been a refreshing change to not treck across to manchester which is what i found myself doing a lot the previous two years. I don't mind if leeds gets an arena, they've already got the Academy(the old Town and Country club) and it just means we might get included this side of the pennines on peeps tours as my heart sinks when i see just manc and birmingham. Notts arena ends up costing a fortune what with parking but i quite like Rock City.

• 3 years later...

Its looking good already! It will definitely be a striking addition to the array of quality Architecture in Leeds.

The issue that seem to be coming up time and time again are provisions of parking in the vicinity...

Without sounding bias.........

I've live here in Sheffield all my 43 years and been a Leeds United fan...for a good 33 of those years........i've honestly seen Sheffield (my home city that i love) get overtaken by Leeds as a City (City Centre).....

Leeds has been crying out for a decent indoor venue for years.

It's a top night out with loads more to offer than Sheffield !!

Sorry folks !!

Fact.

The new arena looks decent, i must say. Its coming on quite quickly, and i look forward to some great gigs - at last - sick of going to Manchester to see bands, and not being able to have a few drinks.

Archived