Goodwin Fountain

melly

Does anyone know what happened to the sculpture that was meant to be replacing Goodwin Fountain? have heard it has gone to Paris but don't know where to start looking, if anyone has any info on this or knows where i might be able to find this kind of thing i would be very grateful x thanks

Square coloured lights set in to the inner face of the fountain at water level. The colours faded up and down to a set sequence. It did look good when it wasn't attacked by fairy liquid.

Remember the Sheaf Square fountain? A pillar of transparent blocks lit from inside with a solid jets of water.

Finally the one at the back of Debenhams in the long oblong trough, is there any photos out there?

I remember this well. It was to be commissioned by the Sheffield Town Trust but the Council hadn't got the guts to let it happen. It was designed by Iranian Shirazeh Houshiary and in my mind would have made a stunning addition to the city centre. The city does like to live in the past doesn't it? I don't know what happened to it in the end but start with http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/towntrust.html and google from there. I'd be intested to know what you discover.

Square coloured lights set in to the inner face of the fountain at water level. The colours faded up and down to a set sequence. It did look good when it wasn't attacked by fairy liquid.

Remember the Sheaf Square fountain? A pillar of transparent blocks lit from inside with a solid jets of water.

Finally the one at the back of Debenhams in the long oblong trough, is there any photos out there?

I recall all three fountains but sadly, when they were never working as opposed to being in their full glory.

The Goodwin Fountain was forever switched off with the water drained. Cardboard boxes and other rubbish collecting at the bottom - an unsightly mess for the city centre. Make-shift railings surrounded the bare flower beds.

The one at the station also rarely worked and was turned into a flower bed. The one behind Debenham's I can hardly EVER recall working!

And the thing is, it looks like the new water features in Sheffield might be as reliable. It's not often the fountains and other features (the urns) all work at the same time in the Peace Gardens and the one in Leopold Square was switched off when I passed the other morning.

If we're to have fountains in the city, then at least ensure they're working. The fountain outside the station was also not working last Sunday (although the rest of the feature was).

Archived