Can landlords make deductions for wear and tear?

Shanazzzz

Landords (this includes myself as we have 2 properties in sheffield) should not charge for wear and tear as you can deduct (if i remember right) 10% from declared earnings on a tax return for furnished properties. If however the tenant has damaged furniture or carpets in some other way (i.e. staining) then this should be taken from the bond.

Hey All

Just moved from an apartment we lived in for 38 months and the landlord has deducted the cost of a new lounge carpet (£365 :o) due to staining. There was no particular stain on the carpet but simply wear and tear.

Is he allowed to charge us for wear and tear?! Clearly, the rent we paid is meant to cover things like this? And after over three years wouldnt you expect wear and tear?!!!

Maybe suggest a professional clean would rectify matters- a lot cheaper if he wont back down.

Hi,

Did you have an inventory done when you moved in? If so you can argue that the wear to the carpet is fair wear and tear and you shouldn’t be charged for it. I had a similar problem with my previous landlord, we had an inventory done through a company who were helpful and we eventually got our bond back, they are called Active Inventories and are based in Sheffield, I would contact them if you are having problems, I don’t know if I can put a link here but you can find them with a google search, hope that helps.

Landlords aren't entitled to charge for wear-and-tear. What's more, if you do have to issue a small claim, you only have to prove that you paid the bond and haven't had it back. the bond is money that belongs to you but is held in the landlord's possession. this means the landlord would have to prove there was a valid reason for making a claim on it against you.

hope this helps. if you need more advice, contact Housing Aid and ask for their factsheet on it.

Was the bond really that much?

I am afraid everywhere I rented we lost the bond, but it was never that much.

I do know a friend who had a landlord that was always entering the house uninvited and was a total pain who claimed the bond for wear and tear. Rather than try to get the bond back, he sold the fridge and cooker to cover the cost of the bond and then did a runner. Which seems fair to me, in the circumstances.

Was the bond really that much?

I am afraid everywhere I rented we lost the bond, but it was never that much.

I do know a friend who had a landlord that was always entering the house uninvited and was a total pain who claimed the bond for wear and tear. Rather than try to get the bond back, he sold the fridge and cooker to cover the cost of the bond and then did a runner. Which seems fair to me, in the circumstances.

my bold

A landlord has no legal right to enter the premises, without prior permission from the tenant, or without giving 24 hours notice that they wish to enter the premises, except in the case of a dire emergency (such as a fire a gas leak, or a flood) I understand this law does not apply in the case of a landlord who lives on the premises.

The Rachman (slum) landlord I rented from a few years ago was a bit like that. He would try to let himself into the house, till we put paid to it by keeping the bolts or chains on the door. (Bless... he didn't like that!)

This is the same man, mind you, who thought he was above the Landlord and Tenant Act and didn't need to comply with the law that says the LL has to have the gas appliances checked and certificated as safe. (Hence me and my husband suffering Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a faulty gas fire)

I also rented a place through the halifax who tried to keep a bond. They said i had taken the washing machine. I pointed out that there was one on the inventory and one in the kitchen. Their response was "ahh but there where 2 but we didn't list them both" :huh:

It shows that even big agents try it on. Again i got the money back. In these cases it is often a case of making enough noise that they give you the bond back to shut you up.

If there are stains on the carpet can't it just be cleaned instead of being replaced. If you've lived in the house over 3 years they can't expect the carpet to be brand new, especially since most landlord use the cheapest carpet they can find normally very basic quality. £356 for a lounge carpet is VERY EXPENSIVE.

A landlord I had 10 years ago wanted to charge us £350 for dry cleaning his curtains. We told him WE would get it dry cleaned, in the end the estate agent just returned the deposit to us, I think they felt it was a bit ott as well.

Archived