Advice please, on being wheel-clamped.

Waldo

Personally I wouldn't let them have a car no matter how worthless it seems and I'd imagine they'd want money and not an old banger in lieu of it, anyway ... so, probably legal but can't see them agreeing unless the car is clearly worth a bit.

I assume you want to do this to avoid release fees. As far as I know clamping cars on private ground (ie: private car parks rather than the public highway) is often illegal.

What I would do (and I believe this is legal but can't confirm) ...

If you or someone else can get access to a cordless angle grinder (and some safefy goggles!), I would grind through the chain on the clamp, taking care not to damage the clamp itself (criminal damage), or to throw sparks up at the general public (!), put the clamp in the boot and drop it back off to them. Keep your vehicle out of view, don't engage in any unecessary conversation ie: any (!) etc. Just be aware that some of these clampers are unsavoury ex-con types and maybe get someone who looks a bit intimidating to leave it outside their premises.

Hopefully you'll never hear anything more about it.

If I did, I'd deny any knowledge of a clamp having ever been fitted or else claim that I'd found the clamp lying by a car with a calling card from the "Angle Grinding Bandit". :)

Oh no, I was wondering as to the legalities of doing the following:

Say I have an old banger; instead of taking it to a scrap-yard; let the clampers get it, and then delay payment of fine (forever) so they get to keep the vehicle. Saves me the cost of having it scrapped (and obv. its a problem for the clamper, because it ties up their clamp etc).

Oh no, I was wondering as to the legalities of doing the following:

Say I have an old banger; instead of taking it to a scrap-yard; let the clampers get it, and then delay payment of fine (forever) so they get to keep the vehicle. Saves me the cost of having it scrapped (and obv. its a problem for the clamper, because it ties up their clamp etc).

If the car is worthless, i.e worth less in scrap than the cost of recovery, out of tax, insurance cancelled let them dispose of it. It could actually put them out of pocket.

Sounds like a result to me.

Archived