Toby Carvery overrun with small children

RosyRat

Having looked at some of the recommendations on this Forum for a good Sunday lunch, we took a friend there last Sunday. The service was excellent and my friend's food plentiful and well-cooked. We ate the fish and it was pretty dried up when we got to it, due to its having sat at the carvery for 15 minutes before we could get to it.

Never mind, the vegetables were well cooked and we were enjoying our meals. Until the families arrived. We'd sat down at 12.15. By 12.45 we were surrounded by families with small children. At the table behind us a little boy spent the entire meal running round and round the room, kicking my chair and diving under the tables. His father did very little to stop him.

Opposite us a baby in a high chair screamed and screamed, so that we could hardly hear our own conversation.

We refused a pudding and said we'd move to the bar for coffee, just to get away. It was worse there. Children ran from the bar to the tables, throwing themselves on the floor and squealing. We moved again to a window embrasure and a party of 4 adults and 4 children arrived. The children shouted at the tops of their voices and, at that point, we admitted defeat and left.

This may be a wonderful venue for noisy families, but a complete nightmare for anyone wanting a Sunday lunch in pleasant surroundings.

its a shame u didnt enjoy your lunch with freinds, but it seems your assuming that all familys have noisey children, i myself have small children but mine do not and more importantly are not allowed to behave in such a manner when we go out to eat. and tbh there isnt really anything wrong with the pub really cos if you look on their website it is aimed at families aswell not just adults - see the bold bit,

Great British Cooking…

Tender cuts of freshly roasted meat, a healthy choice of fresh seasonal vegetables and a good old-fashioned British welcome every time…

In a Toby Carvery restaurant, we go out of our way to make sure every day feels like the best ever Sunday - so you and your family enjoy great carvery and pub food, have a drink and relish some relaxed, quality time.

http://www.toby-carvery.co.uk/

and they have a childrens menu and as you have stated and they also have high chairs.

maybe instead of blaming the pub and making generalizations about families on the whole, you should maybe change the venue next time and be honet and say its your own choice not to be around hyper active children instead of laying the blame on the pub or the families, and im afraid that unfortunately if its the kids you wanna get away from you may struggle as it seems a lot more places are aiming at the family market or maybe go out in the evening as i know i dont really take my children out to eat in the evening as i see that as adult time in resteraunts but i will take them if they have a play centre type things which is specifically aimed at children. or better still phone the actual place you want to go to and ask about their policy for allowing children in.

I don't think you actually read the OP's post properly at all Katy.

its a shame u didnt enjoy your lunch with freinds, but it seems your assuming that all familys have noisey children, i myself have small children but mine do not and more importantly are not allowed to behave in such a manner when we go out to eat. and tbh there isnt really anything wrong with the pub really cos if you look on their website it is aimed at families aswell not just adults - see the bold bit,

Great British Cooking…

Tender cuts of freshly roasted meat, a healthy choice of fresh seasonal vegetables and a good old-fashioned British welcome every time…

In a Toby Carvery restaurant, we go out of our way to make sure every day feels like the best ever Sunday - so you and your family enjoy great carvery and pub food, have a drink and relish some relaxed, quality time.

http://www.toby-carvery.co.uk/

and they have a childrens menu and as you have stated and they also have high chairs.

maybe instead of blaming the pub and making generalizations about families on the whole, you should maybe change the venue next time and be honet and say its your own choice not to be around hyper active children instead of laying the blame on the pub or the families, and im afraid that unfortunately if its the kids you wanna get away from you may struggle as it seems a lot more places are aiming at the family market or maybe go out in the evening as i know i dont really take my children out to eat in the evening as i see that as adult time in resteraunts but i will take them if they have a play centre type things which is specifically aimed at children. or better still phone the actual place you want to go to and ask about their policy for allowing children in.

The OP NEVER said that all families have noisy children - why are you twisting their words?!

If you have well behaved children, then the OP wasn't talking about your family, they were talking about the badly behaved ones which they had the misfortune to experience!

I feel sorry for the OP... I have been out to lunch a few times and some inconsiderate family has ruined the atmosphere by letting their kids run riot!

I have absolutely nothing against eating lunch in a place with nice, polite families, but it seems that nowadays more and more families think its fine to do whatever the hell they like and sod everyone else. When I was a kid I remember my parents being very strict with me and I would sit with my colouring-in book and not fidget if I was invited out in adult company.

And before anyone has a go saying "well my kids are well behaved..." then save your breath because I am therefore NOT talking about you then am I?!

I don't think you actually read the OP's post properly at all Katy.The OP NEVER said that all families have noisy children - why are you twisting their words?!

If you have well behaved children, then the OP wasn't talking about your family, they were talking about the badly behaved ones which they had the misfortune to experience!

I feel sorry for the OP... I have been out to lunch a few times and some inconsiderate family has ruined the atmosphere by letting their kids run riot!

I have absolutely nothing against eating lunch in a place with nice, polite families, but it seems that nowadays more and more families think its fine to do whatever the hell they like and sod everyone else. When I was a kid I remember my parents being very strict with me and I would sit with my colouring-in book and not fidget if I was invited out in adult company.

And before anyone has a go saying "well my kids are well behaved..." then save your breath because I am therefore NOT talking about you then am I?!

changed my mind!

wow! that came across as incredibley defensive!
Yeah sorry, I had a right old rant didn't I?! :blush:

You hit a nerve cos I've been in the OP's position before and I thought the particular families in question were totally out of order.

I understand that young kids are difficult to keep quiet... but the OP described kids running around & under their table, and the parents not batting an eyelid! I think thats totally wrong.

Thanks James and KatieB for the suggestions. It's so difficult to get the choices right when you don't know the venues. We went to the Toby Carvery because it had been recommended on here. I love to go out for meals and this was a special occasion for our friend, so wanted to get it right.

The noise in the restaurant was unbelievable, with babies crying and little ones shouting and screaming. I knew that family-friendly meant children welcome, but I honestly didn't envisage the bedlam we found. The end result is that only families with children will use the Toby Carvery and that's fine. Now I know just what "family friendly" means and will avoid any restaurants with that message on their website.

The Devonshire sounds interesting - thanks for the mention. We'll call in over the Christmas/New Year holidays and try it out.

I love to go out for meals and this was a special occasion for our friend, so wanted to get it right.

Personally wouldn't think of "carvery" and special occassion in the same sentence.

If a meal is for a special occassion on a Sunday I think you have to go to non pub chain, pubs such as Cricket Inn, or Coach and Horses at Dronfield other than that I think anywhere that does the 2 for 1 type meals will always attract families and are to be avoided at all cost (and yes I have children, who if they had EVER behaved as the ones described above did, would have been told off and privelidges stopped).

The only pub chain type that have a no kids rule I think is Ember Inns and I've only been to the Robin Hood at millhouses and I must say it was very nice.

Archived