Sheffield Re-enactment

cosywolf

Hallam is a Sheffield-based re-enactment group you've heard me go on about before, prob'ly, but here it is again...in summary:

Viking/Saxon, authentic to Sheffield area.

Fun events, nice people, plenty of drinking and merriness.

A chance to hit other people with swords, axes, spears, etc

A chance to learn skills like dyeing, metalworking, woodcraft, etc

We've got a hearth night tonight (Thurs 4th) at the Red Deer in town at 9pm - always a giggle, and a good place to come meet us and see if we're really all that strange...:P Or even if you'd like to think about joining (no pressure)

FMI: see Noticeboards and Classifieds, 'Fight with swords and axes...' for a better description of the evening and of me (so you can find us)

We will also have a practice on Sunday - again, see above.

Am I the only re-enactor present here? Typical oddball cosy...

Hope to see you there?

• 2 years later...

Just wondering if there are any plans for future re-enactments?

I have a son who like any normal 10 year old would love to see some swords & axes flying about :)

Hmm... just seen the date on the original post and it's quite a while back now :confused:

Originally posted by cosywolf

Am I the only re-enactor present here?

I spent a lot of my student time training to fight with spear, bill, sword, poll axe and double headed battle axe with Howard's company in the Federation of the Roses (War of the Roses reenactment). As the only female who took an active role in the hand to hand fighting (rather than archery, which all the other women did) it was physically very tough, but it was good fun too. Even spending time in A&E after things went a bit wrong and a weapon caught me somewhere I didn't have armour didn't put me off!

Unfortunately my health meant that I had to stop fighting not long after finishing Uni, but it was a great while I could do it. If I was a more average size for a woman I would have spent time in the life reenactment as well as the battle reenactment, but I'm just too tall to act the 'lady' in living history (and if you take away my glasses I can't function at all).

I had a thoroughly good time, even when I was exhausted from running around in full plate armour, and would recommend this as a way of interesting youngsters with too much energy!

Archived