Bombed Out In Fowler Terrace 1940

wallytof

Wallytof, do you remember anyone who lived on Macro Street --at the big house, 78, for instance. Or anybody called Manning who lived at the bottom of Fowler Street. I'm wondering about the people who were among you neighbours when you lived there.

Hi,

I don't remember those names, but half way up fowler street was the Shaws they had a son Graham who became a foot baller, and the 2 Bladen girls who lived at the shop, and the others I have said in my past reply, there

was a william he was about my age (5) in Grove Street but I believe he was killed on that night.I do not remember everyone as I am now 73

Kind Regards

Wallytof

The Shaws may well have been bombed out, for they moved to Southey Green sometime in the 1940s.

The Brian Manning I mentioned would be about 70 or 71 now, and he was pally with a lad called Betts. I also remember a Sheila Garfitt from that time, but, sadly, I was told that she died quite young.

• 2 years later...

I have just been doing some family history research and come across a family that lived in Fowler Place in 1891 (No 15). The family name is Eyre and the father is Stenton Eyre. Do you know if Fowler Place was near Fowler Terrace etc. please?

Thank you

Linda

Hi Linda,

yes Fowler place and fowler terrace was near to each other, starting from the bottom of fowler street (railway line end) as you walked up fowler street, on the right about halfway up was a shop called Bladens, across on the other side almost facing was Fowler Terrace and a few yards further uo was Fowler Place, most of this was bomed in december 1940, I lived in fowler place, and was trapped in the cellar, and had to be dug out, then i was evacuated to wales. hope this helps you in your search,

Eros

Wow - what a speedy reply.

I love to hear tales of the people who experienced the blitz and war. It makes me recall that I am lucky to live in peace time. Thank you. I'm sure my relatives who lived in Fowler Terrace were long gone by the time you were there - but its fun to see where they lived.

I also have Shaw's in my family tree. I see this name is mentioned in the thread of this post.

My Grandmother was born a Shaw (and became a Greenfield). She lived in Pickering Road, Parkwood Springs....which I'm sure doesn't look anything like it used to now. All in a similar area I think.

thanks again

Linda

Hi Linda,

yes Fowler place and fowler terrace was near to each other, starting from the bottom of fowler street (railway line end) as you walked up fowler street, on the right about halfway up was a shop called Bladens, across on the other side almost facing was Fowler Terrace and a few yards further uo was Fowler Place, most of this was bomed in december 1940, I lived in fowler place, and was trapped in the cellar, and had to be dug out, then i was evacuated to wales. hope this helps you in your search,

Eros

did you know a family called Kerley? first names George, Jean and Arthur?

Wow - what a speedy reply.

I love to hear tales of the people who experienced the blitz and war. It makes me recall that I am lucky to live in peace time. Thank you. I'm sure my relatives who lived in Fowler Terrace were long gone by the time you were there - but its fun to see where they lived.

I also have Shaw's in my family tree. I see this name is mentioned in the thread of this post.

My Grandmother was born a Shaw (and became a Greenfield). She lived in Pickering Road, Parkwood Springs....which I'm sure doesn't look anything like it used to now. All in a similar area I think.

thanks again

Linda

What a lovely address......Pickering rd, Parkwood Springs :love:

Archived