393 Club in Hillsborough? What was it originally used for?

Tezden

• 5 years later...

It was originally a Soldier's Home (linked to the Barracks across the road), and many years later it became the Hillsborough Boys' Club --a brilliant club which encouraged the development of many notable Sheffield sportsmen.

Just wanting to reopen debate about this building - apparently associated with notable Sheffield sportsmen - anyone have any more details about who?

It was originally a Soldier's Home...
Yes, it was built as such in 1907 - here is a photo of the foundation stone, and another photo dated 1908. It became the Hillsborough Boys' Club in 1928 when the Army left the barracks, the first manager being R.A. Reynolds. My own links with the club were rather tenuous but I do remember Henry Hall - a fine boxing coach. A longer thread can be found here - this has links to photos (in post #17) etc.

It was originally a Soldier's Home (linked to the Barracks across the road), and many years later it became the Hillsborough Boys' Club --a brilliant club which encouraged the development of many notable Sheffield sportsmen.

Just wanting to reopen debate about this building - apparently associated with notable Sheffield sportsmen - anyone have any more details about who?

I used to be a member of Hillsborough Boys Club it was run by Captain Royle at the time around 1956.He always wore a blazer with the Olympic rings on the breast pocket,back in those days there wasn,t much for youngsters to do apart from sport which is why it was so good!.You could do a variety of things metalwork,woodwork carving,art,table tennis,chess,draughts,ph.training,boxing,they hired Hillsborough Baths every week for swimming,they had a good football team it was very popular.I wrote a thread about the club way back when I joined the forum a couple of years ago!.

That's where my younger brother Clinton Woods learnt to box.His trainer was Ray Gillett.

I introduced him to it after the football team I played for (hillsbro athletic) used their facilities to get changed in to play against hillsbro celtic.

Archived