The Jesus I Know

The Jesus I Know

The Jesus I know is a teacher who used parable and story to reach the widest possible audience, so that many would have the ears to hear and the eyes to see.

The Jesus I know is a revolutionary who fought oppression, and violence, and unearned power with peaceful means.

The Jesus I know is a heretic of the greatest proportions who said very radical things in very matter of fact ways.

The Jesus I know is a prophet because his words remain with us today, ringing as strongly as ever if we would only hear them.

The Jesus I know is human, flawed as we are, tempted as we are, learning as we are. If he were God, nothing he did or said would have been particularly remarkable. Gods have always been given immortal powers and qualities. Jesus' humanity is what makes him remarkable, and gives us the hope that we might be able to emulate him. If he were God, why would we even try. We, like Jesus, and like Caesar before him, are completely and utterly human.

The Jesus I know is a therapist who listened to stories of tragedy and sorrow of illness and disease, who offered a loving hand and a listening ear, and then said time and again, your faith is strong, your faith has saved you, let it be done as you have wished.

The Jesus I know is a Universalist who embraced all sorts of unsavory characters, from tax collectors to doubters, braggards and religious zealots, prostitutes and poor fishermen, the mentally ill and lepers.

The Jesus I know is a Christian who chose love over violence.

The Jesus I know is a mystic Jew who lived both in this world and beyond, who chose justice over vengeance.

The Jesus I know is a Pagan who tried on the mantle of immortality not only to challenge the authorities, but because he recognized that we all have within us a spark of magic, a divine spark, that we are all part of the same interdependent web of existence.

http://blogs.chron.com/keepthefaith/2008/12/the_jesus_i_know.html

The whole article was quite thought provoking and got me thinking about how I look at Jesus having not attended church throughout my adult life.

I guess whether we have a particular faith or not, we have all been brought up surrounded by stories and views of Jesus - so I just wanted to ask at this time of year, what would you say is the Jesus you know?

I wonder what he has been up to this last couple of thousand years. But then he is the son of god, which kind of makes him god but why would god send himself to attone for sins of the (imperfect) humans that he created out of a bit of dust and a spare rib. God really does work in mysterious ways.

• 3 years later...

Archived