When were the castle markets built?

spudgun

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone remember the old outdoor market that was (i think) at the bottom of dixon lane, i vaguely recall a big brass weighing scale that you could sit on and a bloke put weights on the other side??

i'm 50 years old now and and it closed down when i was quiet young so anyone a bit older than me might remember it better....

john:)

can anyone remember the old outdoor market that was (i think) at the bottom of dixon lane, i vaguely recall a big brass weighing scale that you could sit on and a bloke put weights on the other side??

i'm 50 years old now and and it closed down when i was quiet young so anyone a bit older than me might remember it better....

john:)

Yes I remember them it cost 3d to get weighed then and you sat on a big red chair. I used to love the market then or Rag and Tag as it was called. I used to watch the man selling pots lifting all the plates in the air and spreading them like a pack of cards. Then there was a stall think it was a chiropodist type thing with all bits of skin in jars supposedly off feet I think it was for some kind of ointment. Dad always used to buy me a dish of cockles from a stall think they were 6d then there was the pet shop cant remember for sure but think it was Ogleys?

Archived