Anyone go fishing?

Cycleracer

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

Yes, though its a private pond and only open to residents in Sheffield 5 which of course i come under.

I like to fish a bit further away from home though.

Fleets Dam in Barnlsey used to be good in my day. Very good carp water. Although I used to think the day ticket prices were expensive back then, not sure about now. What about Rivelin? There is a few ponds there, the top one seems the best from what I have seen. As for Dam flask, I never used to enjoy fishing there, was good in trout season but for normal fishing I thought it was poor. Not enough fish in there for such a large area, although it is excelling for Pike fishing in the bottle neck end.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Fleets Dam in Barnlsey used to be good in my day. Very good carp water. Although I used to think the day ticket prices were expensive back then, not sure about now. What about Rivelin? There is a few ponds there, the top one seems the best from what I have seen. As for Dam flask, I never used to enjoy fishing there, was good in trout season but for normal fishing I thought it was poor. Not enough fish in there for such a large area, although it is excelling for Pike fishing in the bottle neck end.

I,m also not keen on large dams and much prefer rivers.

I was walking along side the dam in Western Park earlier this summer and the size of the carp basking on the top were incredible.

I don,t know if anybody ever catches them but they were massive.

I,m watching a bit a T.V on fishing to get my appitite back and going to finish off buying in my gear this weekend.

As a person who enjoys the outdoors it will be a relaxing hobbie when i,m not slogging my guts out on the bike.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I,m also not keen on large dams and much prefer rivers.

I was walking along side the dam in Western Park earlier this summer and the size of the carp basking on the top were incredible.

I don,t know if anybody ever catches them but they were massive.

I,m watching a bit a T.V on fishing to get my appitite back and going to finish off buying in my gear this weekend.

As a person who enjoys the outdoors it will be a relaxing hobbie when i,m not slogging my guts out on the bike.

If you have sky there is some excellent fishing programs on at the weekend on Discovery channel.

If you go to North Muskam on the Trent there used to be a pub right by the river bank. Get someone else to drive and then sit there in the sun fishing and drinking beer. 8)

As a child I was forced to go fishing every Sunday of my life during the season until I was about 12. Even the fishing season started on my birthday 16 June. I can remember all the places- Dunham Bridge, Bardney, Laneham, Torksey, Kirksted and on and on.

My mum was and still is a very keen fisherwoman. She's never forgiven me for putting her through labour when she should have been on the riverbank.

For me though it's the most boring sport imaginable. I just can't understand what you all see in it :roll:

I can roccommend Hayfield lakes in Doncaster for a good days fishing.

Mainly carp but a good fun! It's where the big sky sports fishing match (fishamania) was held. Tickets are £5, barbless hooks only but well worth fishing!!

Cycleracer, if you are planning to go to Ireland, send me a private message. A lot has changed and many of the established areas are fished out. Depends on whether you want to mix a good nightlife with fishing not. I know many areas where the fishing is still good and also great places for the old codgers and dodgy knees brigade to slide out of the car straight onto the bankside.

Originally posted by The Zeppelin

Cycleracer, if you are planning to go to Ireland, send me a private message. A lot has changed and many of the established areas are fished out. Depends on whether you want to mix a good nightlife with fishing not. I know many areas where the fishing is still good and also great places for the old codgers and dodgy knees brigade to slide out of the car straight onto the bankside.

Well i used to fish in a village called Cootehill in County Cavan and lake Drumore.

Whats it like in that area now.

Cootehill was a bit peggy, like the 3rd peg after the barbed wire fence thro the wood at Barnagrow Lough etc. If you want massive bream then so long as the water is a bit warm then the other side of Cavan at Milltown has a lot to offer. Alternatively the midlands on the Suck, a tributary of the Shannon, at Castlecoote/Athleague is good. The roach have moved into the upper shannon/suck network and it fishes in some areas like Belturbet used to in the 80's and the massive bream are still there. Its a question of knowing the area when the water is high or low.

Archived