Bandstand in Chapeltown Park

six45ive

There was a large wooden bandstand on this site. Lovely thing, quite large, with an underground storeroom for chairs which they used to place around the bandstand in the summer. It was still there in the 90's but succumed to vandalism.

Chapeltown Band played there regularly. It was a main feature of the park.

Chapeltown Park is a shadow of its former self, it was WRDC's main shrub showpark and had lighting up the paths to the bandstand, a drinking fountain nearby, a large pavilion in lath and plaster style near the playground.

Thanks for your responses.

As I walked around the park taking photos the impression I was left with was that it seemed to be a 'shell' of a park. Nothing more than the bare bones of what it was, should be and hopefully will be again.

The wooden bandstand certainly looked impressive satman.

Regarding the photo I took of the bandstand as it is today, the photographer in me wanted to chop the trees down surrounding the site to open up the views of the town.

(Not that I normally condone the chopping down of trees you understand.):nono:

If I remember rightly the Royal British Legion and chapeltown coucil are in dispute over this band stand, as it was dedicated to the memory of those who died in the war - cant remember which one possibly 1st.

Therefore it is under the terms of the cematries act a war memorial and should be kept in good condition .

Dont know what the outcome of the dispute was

If I remember rightly the Royal British Legion and chapeltown coucil are in dispute over this band stand, as it was dedicated to the memory of those who died in the war - cant remember which one possibly 1st.

Therefore it is under the terms of the cematries act a war memorial and should be kept in good condition .

I'd be interested to know myself for rebuilding it might just be the kick start the park needs to return it to it's former glory.

problem is,its out of the way up in the park,

thats why over the years its took the turn for the worse,

even ecclesfield park bandstand is going the same way,every few weeks some scum burns a paper bin against one of the roof suports,

why do we put up with the vandalism ?

JJ..

they hold the rememberence service at the band stand each year

problem is,its out of the way up in the park,

thats why over the years its took the turn for the worse,

even ecclesfield park bandstand is going the same way,every few weeks some scum burns a paper bin against one of the roof suports,

why do we put up with the vandalism ?

JJ..

because there is no deterent and the little scum bags know it

Archived