Anyone in Royal Navy 1958-1974.

Jossman

Originally posted by Fareast

I just scrape into your time-frame !

I joined the Navy in 1958 but I shouldn't have done.! I was in the wrong branch , having had some very poor advice given me at the recruiting office.

I was "discharged as unsuitable " about 9 months after joining. Not a very glittering career , was it ?

!

Snap except I was sent to the Air Radar branch (something I had no interest in) of the Fleet Air Arm, and must have been at Collingwood at the same time,I also went To HMS Ariel and Daedalus.I just wandered in to the RAF recruiting office in Sheffield and joined up as a Photographer, they must have been filling quotas or something as they put me down as ex merchant navy!I did 15 yrs in the RAF and funnily enough met quite a few guys from the RN in Singapore when the Aircraft carriers called in.

Originally posted by Jossman

P.S. I originate from Hillsborough, next to the wednesday ground. Left Owler Lane Sec. Int. to join up.

I am also from Hillsborough,Joe Sanderson(Penistone Rd) joined up at that time as well I think he went seaman branch (which is what I wanted).I met a bloke from Shepperson Rd called Douglas,he was Fleet Auxillary, we went to Changi beach one night for a beach barbecue and woke up the next morning to see his ship sailing off into the distance!

Matsalleh. Joe went to school with me and I was with him in the Far East in '64. We were both signalmen then. Sad to inform you that Joe crossed the bar last year after suffering with Lukemia. A sad Loss.

• 2 years later...

Left Central Tech. 1949, joined RN in Oct 49 as Jnr/Stoker. Retired own request in Nov 1972 as Engineer Lieutenant. Served in Vanguard, Wrangler, Sluys,Ranpura, Tyne, Unicorn, Mechanicians training, Troubridge, Vigilant, Ark Royal (big one), promoted to S/Lt. , Tiger, Feb 67 to Dec 68 Raleigh , Jellicoe Divisional Officer, Hecla , Defiance Devonport.

Left Central Tech. 1949, joined RN in Oct 49 as Jnr/Stoker. Retired own request in Nov 1972 as Engineer Lieutenant. Served in Vanguard, Wrangler, Sluys,Ranpura, Tyne, Unicorn, Mechanicians training, Troubridge, Vigilant, Ark Royal (big one), promoted to S/Lt. , Tiger, Feb 67 to Dec 68 Raleigh , Jellicoe Divisional Officer, Hecla , Defiance Devonport.

Stands to attention and says, "Welcome Sir".

I had the unfortunate job of charging a POMEM with negligence when I was Jaunty of the Amazon (New Type 21's). He dropped a spanner into the turbines of the Olympus engines. Personally, to me it was an awful task as he was such a good man. I persuaded the Captain to alter the charge to the above and not Neglect. This saved him a CM and he was eventually awarded a fine. One of my better moves as a Regulator.

It's strange , Jossman , you telling about the POME. One of my last tasks before leaving Defiance was to devise a way of removing G/T's and replacing them without dropping spanners in the works, not very successfully by the sound of it.

It's strange , Jossman , you telling about the POME. One of my last tasks before leaving Defiance was to devise a way of removing G/T's and replacing them without dropping spanners in the works, not very successfully by the sound of it.

He had failed to place the leather wrist strap over his hand!!! Such a small thing but disastrous had the engines turned. He was an honest man and owned up.

Archived