Anyone in Royal Navy 1958-1974.

Jossman

I expect the Sheffield you refer too was the cruiser, rightly called the SHINY SHEFF. The City had supplied the ship with stainless steel door and hatch clips. I believe the ships bell is in the cathedral.

Snap except I was sent to the Air Radar branch (something I had no interest in) of the Fleet Air Arm, and must have been at Collingwood at the same time,I also went To HMS Ariel and Daedalus.I just wandered in to the RAF recruiting office in Sheffield and joined up as a Photographer, they must have been filling quotas or something as they put me down as ex merchant navy!I did 15 yrs in the RAF and funnily enough met quite a few guys from the RN in Singapore when the Aircraft carriers called in.

Hi,

I joined the RAF as a photographer in 1959, at the recruiting office in Cambridge Street. I stayed for 22 years and never returned to Sheffield to live again.

A lot of those shiny items that were given to the Sheffield were made at Firth-Vickers Stay-brite shop. My father worked there and was one of the people who made the presentation. He particulary enjoyed the splicing of the main brace that followed.

Wonder if there would be any newspaper articales or photos of the presentation?

I joined in 1949 at Royal Arthur as an air radio mech. Completed training at HMS Ariel near Warrington. Then RNAS Lossiemouth and Yeovilton. I joined 826 squadron on Firefly 6s in 51 served with them on Illustrious, Indomitable, and Theseus. Later on 807 and 800 sea hawk squadrons aboard Albion, Bulwark, Centaur and the mighty Ark. Did two years at RNAS Halfar Malta, then back to Culdrose. Finally helicopter crewman aboard HMS Naiad my smallest and favorite ship. Bought myself out in 1966. CREL(Air) Wafoo(rtd) Thank god!!

• 2 weeks later...

My ex-brother-inlaw - Keith Blackburn - was in the Royal Navy. When he was 21 there was a photo of him in the Sheffield Star. He was based on the Ark Royal and they had gone to Japan (I think) - Keith I believe was the youngest recruit on the ship and was holding a Japanese child.

My eldest daughter has just shown me this thread and i thought i would stick my "oar in" so to speak. My name is Steve Ibbotson, I joined the RN in Oct 72 aged 16 at Raliegh, went on to Mercury for radio operator training. I joined Hms Hermione in the far east straight from training, spent two years on her before doing brief stints at Cochrane, Faslane,Whitehall and then did two years on Hms Galatea. I bought myself out in December 79, it was a hard decision to leave but it was a time of great change, including the addition of women crew members!!( I think this actually happened in the early 80's but the rumour started around 1975 ) It may seem the norm now but at the time just the thought of it was traumatic. I enjoyed my time served and yes i do occaisionally regret not staying for the full 22 yrs, i have great memories even though the better ones i can't share with my daughters - they would not understand such places as the "Gut" in Malta or "Boogie" st in Singapore. I have not had any contact with anyone I served with since I left, I expect this was the same for everyone as the navy was bigger in the 70's and once you moved on from one draft too another you made new friends. Once you become a civvy you had to make a new life and actually think for yourself - god that was hard. I will keep an eye on this thread and share memories, you never know who might read it and reply.

Having started this thread, I am pleased to see all the replies. Mrseggy, I joined the Andrew as a boy signalman doing partII training at HMS Mercury, a fellow communicator. I reached the dizzy hights of killick bunting then changed branches to regulating. I retired as the Jaunty of HMS Amazon. Too many runs ashore and too many "Blackcats" to recant on this forum, but as ex matelots we all know the score. Keep it rolling.

Archived