Been round Shirebrook Valley Today

natonstan

Today I took a walk around Shirebrook Valley, starting at normington, next to the roundabout, and I walked the full length down the motorway and down to the Beighton marsh, was a great trek and saw some great stuff. I remember my grandad always going on about the local history but I didn't find it interesting, but today really opened my eyes, seeing the old ampitheatre in the grass, the old mill stones laying around and remains of the dam was great, anybody else come out here often?

Glad you enjoyed your walk. :)

I take the dog over there most days and there's always something to see.

These three leaflets produced by the council which are worth a look if you're interested in the history of the valley.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/local-nalocal-nature-reservesture-reserves/information-leaflets

There's also a book called 'Shirebrook - The Forgotten Valley' which is very good. I bought it from Hackenthorpe Post Office but they also have it in Crystal Peaks library.

I used to walk in shirebrook valley daily with my dog when i lived in both woodhouse and hackenthorpe. There used to be an old air raid shelter there that we played in as kids.

Thers quite a few air raid shelters in these fields mostly up on sallys hill and yes there still there.

Spent most of my youth growing up in the shire brook valley and its allways nice to have a stroll down there although it has changed alot over the years.

They might have the book at the visitor's centre but it doesn't seem to be open very often.

Shire Brook Valley Heritage Group who put the book together are at the visitor's centre on the 18th though and I'm sure they'll have copies.

http://www.shirebrookvalleyheritage.btik.com/p_Home.ikml

Tbh I haven't seen it for sale anywhere but Hackenthorpe Post Office.

Hi all, I am also a regular dog walker in the Shirebrook Valley. Only really discovered the place when we got the dog earlier this year but absolutely love it now. Can recommend walking up onto the top of the old Beighton tip site on a clear day for the views and crossing the road to visit Beigton Marsh too. :)

i like to go walking up there, i used to go alot more when i had my dog, but now hes gone i dont.

i like to go and sit on the ponds and watch the birds and to go look for badger sets.

my favourite part is sitting on top of sallys hill and watching the cows when they are there.

i often walk up to where the horses are kept behind back of the angel and feed them carrots :)

xx

Archived