Dave Pelzer (a Child Called It)

My wife read his books about 4 years ago she believed it all - I started to read them but stopped after the first book, I found it hard to believe and I reckon what he writes sells books loads of them - after all who can say if hes telling the truth or not - the more disturbing the book the more it sells the more money made simple.

There may be some truth in his story however we don't know where fact stops and fiction starts.

You need to make your own mind up.

wonder how much he is worth?

Obviously this is something close to your work or whatever - however I think the way you have phrased your comment is a bit unnecessary.

Maybe the reason that some children/adults do go through these things silently is because people make comments like you do that they aren't necessarily telling the truth and just doing it for a personal reason of getting back at someone. Maybe they think that people will think the same about them, trying to get attention or something similar.

Also, who said that people posting aren't doing what they can about it, I am not saying that I am as I wouldn't know what to do etc, but other people might be. Maybe people posting on this forum might open people's eyes to it, who might otherwise not think about it, but then start doing what they can.

I'm playing devil's advocate in a way here pennypie. There are so many issues to be raised with regards to something like this that I'm not sure there any answers, just questions. My post was intended to more thought provoking than any answers to any sort of questions... :)

I agree with what you said about raising this issue on a discussion board like this potentially being a positive thing :)

I'm playing devil's advocate in a way here pennypie. There are so many issues to be raised with regards to something like this that I'm not sure there any answers, just questions. My post was intended to more thought provoking than any answers to any sort of questions... :)

Sorry, maybe I am a little tired and sensitive this evening.

My wife read his books about 4 years ago she believed it all - I started to read them but stopped after the first book, I found it hard to believe and I reckon what he writes sells books loads of them - after all who can say if hes telling the truth or not - the more disturbing the book the more it sells the more money made simple.

There may be some truth in his story however we don't know where fact stops and fiction starts.

You need to make your own mind up.

wonder how much he is worth?

He didn't put everything in that his mother did to him, and when he did put in what she had done to him it wasn't necessarily the focus of the chapter - more like a by-product of the situation. What he did put in was way too sick to be untrue, yes, some people do have sick imaginations like that, but there was too much of it. It wasn't even mentioned in The Lost Boy or A Man Named Dave.

Maybe the reason that some children/adults do go through these things silently is because people make comments like you do that they aren't necessarily telling the truth and just doing it for a personal reason of getting back at someone. Maybe they think that people will think the same about them, trying to get attention or something similar.

This is exactly right, pennypie. And I think it's particularly true for children, who are too young to have the perspective of adults. They are ashamed and afraid, believing that something must be wrong with them, especially if their abuser tells them they are 'bad', or that they are somehow responsible for making the abuser angry.

I read the first book, and it was so disturbing, I had no desire to read his subsequent books. I feel he did embellish a little, but his mother sounded like a very, very, sick woman.

I read the first book, and it was so disturbing, I had no desire to read his subsequent books. I feel he did embellish a little, but his mother sounded like a very, very, sick woman.

The others weren't as bad, they were about him getting used to life as a normal child should and his difficulties, and about him growing up and still dealing with it in his relationship etc. The worst one for the disturbing stuff is def the first one.

He didn't put everything in that his mother did to him, and when he did put in what she had done to him it wasn't necessarily the focus of the chapter - more like a by-product of the situation. What he did put in was way too sick to be untrue, yes, some people do have sick imaginations like that, but there was too much of it. It wasn't even mentioned in The Lost Boy or A Man Named Dave.

Of course he didn't put everything in to one book because then there would be nothing to wite about in his other books - All about money

This is exactly right, pennypie. And I think it's particularly true for children, who are too young to have the perspective of adults. They are ashamed and afraid, believing that something must be wrong with them, especially if their abuser tells them they are 'bad', or that they are somehow responsible for making the abuser angry.

I don't deny that, but equally as there are evil adults there are also children who don't have any perspective to the results of their claims. It is incredibly difficult for those who have been abused to feel they can speak out, that allows those who want to make false claims to be able to do so more easily. Teachers/foster carers/parents/etc have lost jobs, lives and friends/family because of untrue accusations.

We have to balance that up against making sure those who are suffering in silence are able to speak about it and that they will be taken seriously. It's a fine line doing that, and I don't think we do it well enough... which is yet another issue.

Archived