Shaolin Monks circus in Sheffield . where? when?

peakma

Can anyone help , I caught the end of an article on the news , I'm not sure if it was Look North or Calender.But it had a clip of the Shaolin Monk circus on in Leeds now till the 24th, then coming on to Sheffield after, But they didn't say any other information.

I cant find anything on the internet about it ,My partner really wants to take our two boys, so if anyone knows anymore about where annd when it is, how much it costs ,how to book etc , please let me know.Thanks in advance.

hiya peakma , picked up a flyer for this today so here's the details :

grand masters of kung fu , The Chinese State Circus feat. the world famous shaolin wushu warriors

two shows in one - circus & kung fu!

tues 26 april - mon 2 may - Hillsborough Park , Sheffield (penistone road)

tues - fri 5pm & 8pm

sat , sun & mayday mon - 2pm & 5pm

heated theatre big top , individual seats throughout , large free car park

rear circle, side circle , grandstand,ringside

adults £10 £15 £20 £25

under 16 etc £7 £10 £14 £17

250 unreserved seats at every performance

box office open on site 9am to 9pm from mon 25 april

ticketline - 0870 122 4730

hope that helps !

the flyer i got is one of those with an admit one at half price vouchers on , i think the place where i picked it up has a few more , pm me if you want me to pick any up for you. :)

Here you go, got an email from them:

---

I am Tony Wilkie-Millar, Press Officer for the Chinese State Circus. I understand that you would like some more information on the forthcoming visit to Sheffield of our new production - with particualr reference to the martial arts.

The martial arts artistes have been selected from Jilin Province in North East China and present displays of Shaolin martial arts and wushu. The Shaolin artistes come from the Shaolin temple where they are trained in this ancient discipline which is based on total focus through breathing techniques. Thier display will demonstrate the ability to exclude pain and includes having bricks placed on thier heads and smashed by a sledgehammer, having wooden staves smashed to splinters across their backs and placing the pointed end of a spear in the front of the throat then bending forward until the shaft is bent in a bow. They also demonsrated their skills in reaction and precise movement.

The wushu artistes provide a series of demonstrations in movement and defence techniques presented in a dazzling theatrical style.

The show is presented by the European Entertainment Corporation - one of the most respected brand names in touring entertainment and premiered in the UK in March.

To give you a broader idea of the show, I have added below a copy of the Media Release. I hope this is of help.

Kindest regards

Tony.

THE EUROPEAN ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION

PRESENTS

Under licence from the Gandey Organisation

The incomparable

CHINESE STATE CIRCUS

And World Famous

SHAOLIN WARRIORS

The circus that changed Big Top entertainment forever, explodes into the May Bank Holiday in SHEFFIELD with the greatest family show ever assembled beyond the Great Wall of China.

The action-packed new production will be in the THEATRE BIG TOP, at HILLSBOROUGH PARK, PENISTONE ROAD, SHEFFIELD from TUESDAY April 26 until MONDAY MAY 2

For the first time outside China the spectacular 2-hour show combines the martial arts warriors from the Shaolin temple, artistes from Peking Opera, and acrobatic stars of the Chinese State Circus.

For the first time… the world's greatest acrobats join forces with the undisputed masters of martial arts stretching the limits of human achievement.

For the first time…the dazzling spectacle of flying warriors…. terracotta soldiers…. the sensational "woman of a hundred faces"…

For the first time… from the unique art form created for the Emperor in the "Forbidden City" legendary fabled characters from the world-famous Peking Opera host the all-new production.

For the first time…a specially composed and orchestrated music score combining authentic traditional and modern themes and melodies.

Direct from China, a cast of more than 30 world-class acrobats, deadly martial arts exponents from the Shaolin Temple, and artistes from the internationally acclaimed Peking Opera have been specially assembled to create a lavish and thrilling all-action show to match the celebrated "One Hundred Entertainments" for the great Emperors.

The deadly grace of martial arts from the Shaolin school of Kung Fu and Qigong - an ancient discipline and defensive technique is transformed into a dramatic entertainment until now only seen in motion pictures or videos.

Described by the European Entertainment Corporation as "two big shows in one" the promoters say the audiences will be

"……….thrilled by the gravity defying aerial acts high above the circus ring….

……….amazed by the "flying" acrobats as they soar through flimsy bamboo hoops and between parallel upright double poles

………stunned by the displays of superhuman strength, speed and skill by the disciples of the Shaolin Temple

………confounded by the seemingly impossible body bending and perfect balance of one of the world's finest contortionists

………enthralled by the pageantry, colour and athletic dexterity of the glorious Lion Dance - the good luck symbol of the Chinese State Circus.

………enchanted by the Monkey King and other fantasy characters from Peking opera in their sumptuous centuries old costumes

……delighted by the crazy clever antics of the jar jugglers of Jilin with their unique juggling and balancing skills

………ENTRANCED by the dazzling staging of a tale that is two thousand years in the telling."

A truly magnificent show for the entire family.

Listings:

SHEFFIELD - Hillsborough Park, Penistone Road, Sheffield S6 4HE

Tuesday April 26 - - Monday May 2

Performance Times:

Weekdays : 5pm & 8pm Saturday / Sunday / Bank Holiday Monday: 2pm & 5pm

Seat prices: £ 7 - £25 (concessions available)

Booking: DIAL-A-SEAT - 0870 122 4730

Box Office open on site from April 25: 9am - 9pm daily.

Originally posted by Jamie

OMG. I really wanna go see this. Where do you get the flyers from?

You don't need a flyer really, just phone the booking hotline, number is 3 posts above this one.

But according to a mate of mine the tickets don't go on sale till next Monday :shocked:

Archived