Plaza Cinema Handsworth

Yes Suffolk boy me and hubby used to go there regually.We went when Freddie and the dreamers were on and I went to the toilet and when I came out and walked past the stage he said can you hear us in there cos we can hear you! Was I glad that it was dark!

I remember those days. I used to go on Sunday afternoons for the band rehearsals with my twin sister and mates. We saw the group Them and they asked us afterwards if we knew of any good Chinese restaurants. We all piled into their mini van and directed them to the Canary restaurant at the Wicker. When we got there they left us by the road side and we had to walk back home to Handsworth. It wasn't till years later that I realised the I had been in a mini van with Van Morrison. My claim to fame is that I was dumped by Van the Man!

I was a plaza regular in those days,don't think I missed a sunday show which I seem to remember was once a month.

Among groups I remember seeing were Dave Berry,Gene Vincent,Freddie and Dreamers,Screaming Lord Sutch doing his famous coffin act,and there must have been a host others I can't remember now.

I had a similar incident to Moe probably about 1960.I had taken g/f home to Tinsley,did my usual trick of missing last bus,so started thumbing(as you did in those days).

Who should stop but Edna Savage(she married Terry Dean),she had been doing Greasboro Club.Her words were I hope you don't think I make the habit of picking up men,but I want to be put on the road to Liverpool.

I was so impressed took her past bottom of Staniforth Rd.,where I wanted to be,to put her on the road over the snake.I finished up walking home from town.

Archived