Leaving a car running unattended - legality?

I must be tired, I had to read that 3 times! :hihi:

now does their liability insurance cover them for stolen cars with keys in?

I used to deliver to garages years ago and you would be surprised, specially the little back street ones.

I used to have a remote starter on my last car. I could start the car whilst still inside the house. The car couldn't be driven until the key was actually put in. Maybe it was illegal, but i'd start it up on a cold winter's morning and let the car windows demist. Surely better than the the "letterbox" method of seeing thro the front windscreen, that I see other drivers using so often.

Does anyone know why it is illegal? Is it to stop crime or something else? I warm mine up on the drive in the morning but it's not unattended as I'm next to the window overlooking it and I either lock it up or steering lock it if a bike, or use a steering lock or spare key to lock it if it's my car so no one can just jump on and go.

As far as I know, it only applies if your vehicle is on the public highway, because you are deemed to be "not in total control" of your vehicle.....in the same way that freewheeling is "frowned upon".

No, he means like this.

I suspect in that case the copper was trying to offer some advice and the driver was one of these gobby gets so the copper decided to give him the fine if he wasn't going to listen to advice. Always best to quietly stand there and listen when a copper is going on at you. :thumbsup:

It is technically illegal to leave a vehicle running unattended on the public highway. It is also unadvisable, I have had 3 vans stolen from my business because lazy ex drivers left them running and the insurers aren't so keen on paying out either. I have also had my car stolen when I left it running in a private yard to charge the battery up. Luckily or ironically depending how you look at it, the thieves stalled the car and couldn't get it going again about a mile away.

I assume it is legal on a private driveway? Does this also mean that the devices you can have fitted to cars to keep the engine running after stopping in order to allow turbo engines to cool more slowly are also illegal? Makes you wonder what other 'crimes' they can invent to improve their statistics. Eating a donut in front of an office (a.k.a New Labour's Army Member) without offering him half?

Humming keystone cops can get you arrested, I have seen it first hand.

they are starting to fine people for engine idling also. So if you park up and leave the car running while waiting any length of time you get a fine. not sure if this is just up here or all over the country.

That's not hear at all, it's in Oxford or Cambridge and is a local by law.

You can leave your car running on private property without being prosecuted.

Leaving it running on the road (or other public land, ie car park) is what the offence of quitting covers.

In this case it does state that the police tried to offer the driver advice, but his obstinate attitude to his car being theft proof left them no choice but to throw the book at him

why does he think that thieves wouldn't smash the window to steal his car?

Fantastic that the police are doing something proactive about crime

prevention is much better than mopping up afterwards

Prevention of crime by criminalising potential victims.

Seems like genius... Not.

Archived