St Patricks and St Peters schools 50s 60s 70s

tara

Hi Guys wasn't going to get involved but just seen Vince Kenny's name mentioned, he informs me we shared the St peters Link, We're both here in Gibraltar for more than 30 years now, next time I see him i'll let him know he got a mention. I'm 10/12 years younger so you won't know me

Regards Sean G.

Tell him Mick Brown was asking about him. glad to hear he`s doing OK.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Footnote-- This is a bit surreal but the other week in Nottingham I was told by someone I hadnt seen in over forty odd years that Sister John was going to have a ninety-eth bithday party at St Pats, I said it would be nice to see her after all these years (fifty plus) and out of the blue the other day I had an invite to the church and party afterwards. It was really strange going there after all this time but there was the birthday girl. When I introduced myself she asked immedietely how my brother and sister were giving their names, a really remarkable woman with a memory that is equelly so. It was really good to see her and when leaving I told her I would see her in ten years time!!! A real privalige, what a grreat occasion.

My neighbour was first one in st pats Mary Page now mary hallam She is 92 and still going I was at St. Peter's 1960-1965. Linda fiddler. , teaching computers to Keith decosta another old boy

Edited by linda2
Name change

• 11 months later...
Rabbiter, many thanks for that. I dont think I would recognise Billy if I saw him today but if you ever see him again give him my kind regards.Very very sad about John Sanderson--- :|:|

Hi .. Billy Bidwell is my Dad, hes just tried to register on here but havin problems doin it? hes asked me to contact you both.. :-) if u want to send me a PM ill send you his email address? x

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 21:02 ----------

saw billy bidwell in sheffield market about 2 years ago almost certain it was himhe and john sanderson came from st marys school high green billy lived at high green and john lived at tankesly

i was told john went to south africa to work and died there quite young

Hi Rabitter.. Billy Bidwell is my dad... hes tried to register on here but having probs... if u want to pm me ill send u his email address :-) x

• 8 months later...
i went to st pats-- 1950 until summer term 1958-- remember sisters bernadette/carmala/thomas/john and pauline. also mr thompson/walsh and kennedy. some students in my class were- dave wing,paul lally, vincent mc gough,tyrone biney,vin faulkner, connie fusco,mary and ---- bishop (twins).

biggest memories were lots of cane (mostly deserved--ouch) the nuns were great and someone finding an unexploded bomb at playtime!!!!

Then went to st peters from mid 1958 until leaving school at christmas 1959, i wasnt sure where it was as i lived at firth park at the time so my dad who was a postman doing his rounds along yew lane said he would take me. On the very first day the school opened (ever)he woke me up at four in the morning and took me to the sorting office at the top of sheffield lane top where i helped him with his mail, then we set off to do the delivering. At about 7am in the morning we walked onto Morrell road and there was the school. "there it is son- have a good day" he said and left me sat on a wall-- i have the enviable reputation of being the first student ever to walk thro its gates!:loopy:overall i wasnt as happy at peters as i had been at st pats .BUT when i left i made up for it by going to night school for over ten years:o and thankfully made a decent go of things.:roll:

I am part of a group of trying to organise a reunion of St Pauline's J4 class in the 1960s. We remember, Lorraine Allen, Imelda Barker, Joan Cutts, pat Chuslett, Maria Carter, Veronica Cooper, Margaret Burke, Maureen Easrburn, Catgerine Hewson, Kathryn McLevy, Pat Palmer, Angela McLaugin, mani a Wilcox, Theresa Bryan, Mary Waga, Bernadette Wragg, Peter Crossley, Andrew Nagle, Paul Bingley, David Smith, Robert Smith, Jimmy Walker, Michael Patterson, Tommy Nestor, Keith Rodgers, Tony Wade, Richard Pinder, Bernard Harrison and others - plus those from Sr Carmela's J4 class.

Margaret, some of my older brothers and sisters attended St. Pat's in the 60's but none on your list. The only name I recognise is Tommy Nestor who I believe was in the same class as my brother Sean. There were nine of us who were taught at St. Patrick's and afterwards at St. Peter's.

Paul T.

Thank you, Paul T. I am in touch with three other pupils, and we would love to meet as many as possible. I am not confident about finding any more, particularly as the girls may have a married surname. Never mind, it may prove fruitful. The same details have been shared on Facebook.

Best wishes,

Margaret Eaton (nee Burke)

• 1 month later...
Hi a couple of people have mentioned Paul Parkin , he was my Dad he was a fire fighter as mentioned but sadly died on duty in 1974 x not sure if anyone would have any old photos with him on

Thanks

I've heard of your dad, is he by any chance buried in the catholic section of the churchyard behind St Josephs at Handsworth ??.