St Patricks and St Peters schools 50s 60s 70s

tara

I went to St Patricks in the late 50s, can't remember too many names there, I remember Tony Roach, my best friend was Maureen Wild she came from a very strict Catholic family. I was the girls netball captain my last year, I was able to take home the BIG Silver cup for one day, wish I had kept the photo of the whole team.

Sybil Guy was another good friend.

Tony Roche, from the infamous Roche clan from Firth Park. Only Paddy and Sheila are still around. All the other brothers have sadly passed away.

Tony Roche, from the infamous Roche clan from Firth Park. Only Paddy and Sheila are still around. All the other brothers have sadly passed away.

Tony Roche died ? if it's the same one, wasn't he kind of tall and gawky looking, always joking around..nice boy, well he was a boy when I knew him.

• 8 months later...

i went to both school st pats 1968-74 stpeters 1974 79 good days when i went but spent my days waggin it most of the time .the things you regret .some teachers i remember st pats ....mrs farmer mr wilson sister navtivertiy st john st pauline ....st peters.......mrs marshal mr giles mr allen (head) mr kennerdy mr peason bocker burton ......

I went to St Peters in 69 to 71 then went to Notre Dame. Mr Mc Nereney was the history teacher his son Peter is head of Calender news now days. My older sisters Margaret and Glenys Kelly were there Margaret 8 years before me and Glenys 4 years before she was best friends with Susan Liko. I am Yvonne most of you would say I was the quiet one.

Mr Marsden was the Chemistry teacher and all the girls loved him. God knows why.......

Edited by pearson158

i went to st pats-- 1950 until summer term 1958-- remember sisters bernadette/carmala/thomas/john and pauline. also mr thompson/walsh and kennedy. some students in my class were- dave wing,paul lally, vincent mc gough,tyrone biney,vin faulkner, connie fusco,mary and ---- bishop (twins).

biggest memories were lots of cane (mostly deserved--ouch) the nuns were great and someone finding an unexploded bomb at playtime!!!!

Then went to st peters from mid 1958 until leaving school at christmas 1959, i wasnt sure where it was as i lived at firth park at the time so my dad who was a postman doing his rounds along yew lane said he would take me. On the very first day the school opened (ever)he woke me up at four in the morning and took me to the sorting office at the top of sheffield lane top where i helped him with his mail, then we set off to do the delivering. At about 7am in the morning we walked onto Morrell road and there was the school. "there it is son- have a good day" he said and left me sat on a wall-- i have the enviable reputation of being the first student ever to walk thro its gates!:loopy:overall i wasnt as happy at peters as i had been at st pats .BUT when i left i made up for it by going to night school for over ten years:o and thankfully made a decent go of things.:roll: