Has anyone ever stayed at the Old Vicarage in Penistone?

KATIEB_23

Has anyone ever stayed here or had any experience of this place?

http://www.old-vicarage.co.uk/

We are getting married at Cubley Hall nearby, and my parents would like single bedrooms, which the Old Vicarage has, but I wanted to check it was nice enough for them to stay there on such a special occasion!

We popped by the other week to check it out, but the bloke who answered the door didn't let us in - saying that all the rooms were occupied so we couldn't see them :| then I noticed that even though they have gone to the trouble of getting a website, there isn't a single photo of inside any of the bedrooms :suspect:

I had thought it sounded like a quaint lovely little place, but that makes me suspicious that it's actually a bit grotty inside!

Anyone been? :help:

Thanks for that Strix - definitely a good fall-back plan ;)

Is that the place you have mentioned before as being a good place to eat that's dog friendly? It sounds familiar.

This is proving to be a bit difficult. Mum & dad will be coming up from Kent so will need to stay on Friday & Saturday night... Really you would assume that they stayed at our wedding venue on the night of our wedding, but it seems a bit of a hassle to stay in two different hotels on consecutive nights. Added to that, Mum doesn't want to share a room with Dad because he snores like a steam train, so I thought I had found the perfect solution in The Old Vicarage, as they could have a room each for both nights and it's practically walking distance (and would only come to £140 altogether as opposed to double that at ther places)

But the lack of photos makes me very suspicious!

sorry - no - it's something I found via google/yell/laterooms browsing

oh good grief

see if you can negotiate a better rate at the wedding venue for them :rolleyes:

why aren't they booking their own hotel if they want to be awkward? :confused:

sorry, I'm having flashbacks to how much hassle we had organising a wedding a couple of hundred miles away, and still people want to pile more onto your to-do list :rolleyes:

sorry - no - it's something I found via google/yell/laterooms browsing

oh good grief

see if you can negotiate a better rate at the wedding venue for them :rolleyes:

why aren't they booking their own hotel if they want to be awkward? :confused:

sorry, I'm having flashbacks to how much hassle we had organising a wedding a couple of hundred miles away, and still people want to pile more onto your to-do list :rolleyes:

Haha its OK Strix it's not them being awkward - I'm very close to My Mum & Dad and don't mind doing a bit of research to ensure they have a nice time (and my Mum gets a wink of sleep!)

It's all a bit complicated - the venue only has 12 bedrooms - all doubles or larger. They have a wedding booked on the Friday so all the rooms are reserved for that on Friday night (but they have kindly contacted that bride and groom who have let us have the 'family room' to stay in on Fri night so that me + my 4 bridesmaids can get ready - it'll be a squash but OK!) 2pm is the check-in time at Cubley Hall but our ceremony starts at 1pm.

So it was me who suggested Mum & Dad stayed in the same place for 2 nights running rather than pack up their stuff on the morning of the wedding and move it to Cubley Hall. But if the Old Vicarage turns out to be a bit of a dive I will feel guilty that I have persuaded them to stay there instead of the nice Cubley Hall.

Anyway I know how much stress you went through and don't worry, no-one is being a pain in the arse to me! I am just over-fussing!! :) If the worst comes to the worst, I'm sure they can just pay the extra and do some moving about... I just thought I had found them a little gem that suited perfectly :)

sorry if I spoke out of turn!

We were invited to a wedding where there was a limited number of rooms and in the middle of nowhere, so I know exactly what you mean about the logistics!

would it be more viable to arrange a larger hotel other guests stay in and arrange a minibus? or is everybody else in sheffield already?

sorry if I spoke out of turn!

We were invited to a wedding where there was a limited number of rooms and in the middle of nowhere, so I know exactly what you mean about the logistics!

would it be more viable to arrange a larger hotel other guests stay in and arrange a minibus? or is everybody else in sheffield already?

No you didn't at all!

You made me smile cos I could see you were having flashbacks and getting all indignant on my behalf!! :hihi: bless!

You've hit the nail on the head with the minibus idea - we are definitely going to look into doing that ;) There is a Premier Travel Inn which you actually pass as you come off the M1 junction to get to Cubley Hall - which would be very handy for our Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield friends.

Archived