Hillsborough Post Office

Tezden

My goodness, I must be an old b*gger - I can remember when the post office was further down Middlewood Road.:(.It moved to the purpose-built office in Hillsborough Road in 1961. I can't say exactly when it moved into the Co-Op; must have been in the early/mid-1990s. I don't recall a single-story building next to the Co-Op, though part of the Co-Op building is single-storey.

There is still a branch of the NatWest next door to the Co-Op, in a two-storey building. It does have a narrow single-storey extension at the front, so perhaps this is what the OP meant. See http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.40398,-1.50355|20|256&be=7674482|East&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.38308:-1.46487:14|sheffield|Sheffield,%20Norton,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20S1%202

The Westminster Bank (forerunner of the National Westminster) opened a branch there in the mid-1960s. Before that, the left-hand half of the property was Grainger's off-licence (they moved further down Middlewood Road to what is now Hutton's) and the right-hand half was an antiques/junk shop run by an eccentric old lady whom I remember with much fondness! The single-storey extension, faced in black marble, dates from the conversion of the two shops to the Westminster Bank branch.

Williams & Glyns Bank was formed in 1970 by the merger of Williams Deacons Bank and Glyn Mills & Co. In 1985 Williams & Glyns merged with (it was effectively taken over by) the Royal Bank of Scotland. Williams Deacons Bank's main Sheffield branch, at 5 Church Street, remains a branch of the RBS.

Thanks to the people who responded to my earlier post ... and apologies 'cos I also asked about the single storey building next to the Co-op ... doh! I meant the single storey building in Hillsborough Road next to the old Post Office. Any ideas?

I meant the single storey building in Hillsborough Road next to the old Post Office. Any ideas?

This single-storey building was purpose-built as a post office, and opened in 1961 (the date used to be on the outside wall above the entrance). When the P.O. moved out of Hillsborough Road, the building became the home of a fabrics business which I think is still there as "Fine Fabrics". You can still see where the letter box opening used to be, in the wall just to the right of the doorway. I don't know of another single-storey building in Hillsborough Road - on one side of the old P.O. are the pet shop and Mann's fish shop, and on the other side is the two-storey building that used to house the Sheffield Savings Bank - not sure what is there now!

The reason for the 1961 move was that the amount of business handled by Hillsborough post office had become too great for its previous home, a single-width shop at No 24 Middlewood Road - here's an old photo: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u04912 The P.O. was the property immediately behind the horse, with the dark-coloured signboard below the 1st floor window.

Thanks again Hillsbro ... There is deffo a single storey building on the left - when facing the old PO. I think this is also a carpet shop but what was its original use? The Pet Shop and Fishmongers are aslo still there. The two storey building on the right of the PO, which you attribute as being the Savings Bank. is still there and owned by a company called Russell Hutson.

Well, I really can't think of another single-storey building apart from the old P.O., but since moving to Lincolnshire I've lost touch with my roots! But here is an aerial photo - the only visible single-storey building seems to be the old Post Office, which is now "Fine Fabrics", but maybe the old P.O. is now divided into two?: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.4028,-1.50216|20|256&be=7674360|South&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.38308:-1.46487:14|sheffield|Sheffield,%20Norton,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20S1%202

Anyway, here's a list of occupants of this side of Hillsborough Road, from the Royal Mail website:

....No 7....J.H. Mann Ltd.

.........9....Body & Sole

........11....Fishers Pet Stores

........11a..Robert D. Salons

........15....Fine Fabrics

........21....Russell-Hutton Ltd.

I started work for Barclays Bank at number 2, Middlewood Road in February, 1960. I think the Post Office was down Hillsborough Road then as I used to go in every morning to 'cash in' Postal Orders taken over the counter the previous day. Before that I'd go over to the Midland Bank where I'd be joined by someone from the Yorkshire Penny Bank and we'd do 'local clearing'. Haven't a clue when the Post Office moved from there though.

Archived