Anyone know of Grill on the Hill in sheffield ?

OurCowMolly

littlemouse - baby squid still on the menu.

Sharp87 - drinks offers are £2 on selected beers (Becks this week), £2 small glass house wine, £6.95 bottle house wine. Food offers 2 courses for £9.95 and 3 courses for £12.95 off peak. Kids eat free off peak.

Off peak = Sat & Sun 12-5

Mon - Fri = 5-7

littlemouse - baby squid still on the menu.

Sharp87 - drinks offers are £2 on selected beers (Becks this week), £2 small glass house wine, £6.95 bottle house wine. Food offers 2 courses for £9.95 and 3 courses for £12.95 off peak. Kids eat free off peak.

Off peak = Sat & Sun 12-5

Mon - Fri = 5-7

Yeah- saw that deal on monday - looks really good, 2 course meal for 2 plus a bottle of wine for £27- can't complain!

I went to Grill on the Hill with some friends a few weeks ago and we all had a good meal. I think it is an excellent idea that you are able to choose exactly what you want with your 'grills'. I had sirloin steak, which came perfectly served blue as I requested, chunky chips and caeser salad. Yum.

I'm afraid I wasn't so impressed with Grill on the Hill. We had originally been recommended to go along for the Tapas but when we arrived, it was explained that the 'Grill' side was much better.

We went along with that and came away disappointed. I ordered the mushroom starter - what arrived was a pile of sliced mushrooms in a bowl with no bread or toast to mop up the juices - a bit weird just piling through a load of mushrooms and when i commented, i was told that other people had also commented on this which begs the question, why aren't you responding to your customer's requests or suggestions?! This dish was £4.25!!!

I also ordered 'Tiger' prawns on the skewer. What i got were 10 small king prawns on a skewer with no evidence of the chilli, garlic and ginger. For £11.50 i would really expect a 'wow' dish but again, this was distinctly oversold.

When I commented on this, i was told that people had complained at not getting enough prawns. If this is the case, please don't advertise the dish as 'tiger prawns' as it is misleading!

The best thing we had were the hand-cut chips, which were fantastic!

Overall, to pay £40 for a bottle of wine and a meal for 2 is pretty gutting when you don't come away really pleased ... i don't mind paying £40 for a meal, just that it needs to be up to scratch and I'm afraid that this one wasn't.

On a positive note, I found the restaurant relaxing with a nice atmosphere and the staff were all lovely. I think the menu just needs some work.

• 2 weeks later...

The missus and I went to G.O.T.H. last night and we were very dissapointed to say the least.

On arriving we were stood in the doorway for ages, even though we had booked so it wasn't a surprise we were there!

The table we sat at was very sticky - and we soon found out why. We took advantage of the 2 courses for £9.95 which looked terrific value - in terms of portion size it was very generous, too much for me to be honest.

However the food wasn't up to much. My missus had the humous (or however you spell it) which was fine, but my baby squid wasn't great - it tasted like it had just been defrosted (although I may be wrong of course).

It was the mains that really spoiled the evening - I had the steak, and selected home made chunky chips and sauteed mushrooms. What I was presented with was the greasiest meal I have ever tasted in my life. How can a grill generate so much grease, a pan maybe, but not a grill.

Even the chips were pouring with grease, the mushrooms were inedible - swimming in grease and garlic - and the steak was of a very poor quality - I know the price was good - but the product wasn't. The missus also had the steak and chunky chips, but substituted the mushrooms for onion rings, and guess what - swimming in grease they were.

The missus ordered a dessert, (chocolate brownie and Ice cream) after a 10 minute wait for menu she had requested that is. 20 mins it took for the dessert to arrive, how can a scoop of ice cream and the microwaving of a pudding take that long?

After apologising profusely, the young lady serving us (who was very pleasant and polite) informed us that the delay was due to staff cuts. The chefs will not do desserts, so the serving staff have to do them, along with greeting guests, wiping tables, taking orders and fetching drinks - felt sorry for the poor girl. Why one of the three chefs couldn't do the dessert's is beyond me, there were only 2 other tables in use - so what were they all doing?

On a plus the assistant who served us was nice, the house wine was good and the price was more than reasonable, but I doubt we will be making a return visit.

Well, sorry to see the GOTH getting some poor reviews. I must say, though this is perhaps not the 'constructive criticism' an insider on this thread wants,

this was never true of Spinrocs

It seem sad to think that a lovely restaurant was turned into a greasy grill for the sake of diversification for profit. Bring back Spinrocs!

I do feel that my comments have been constructive and therefore find it even more disappointing that 'Shoegal' has decided to have no more to say on the matter!

Surely in running a business it's this type of feedback that is invaluable, especially considering the current financial climate.

Oh well, won't be going again and have let others know of my experience, including the fact that no response was given to my feedback - both on this forum and in the restaurant.

What's the point in asking for feedback at the end of a meal and then doing nothing with the information. Surely this is just paying 'lip service' to customer satisfaction?!

I do feel that my comments have been constructive and therefore find it even more disappointing that 'Shoegal' has decided to have no more to say on the matter!

Surely in running a business it's this type of feedback that is invaluable, especially considering the current financial climate.

Oh well, won't be going again and have let others know of my experience, including the fact that no response was given to my feedback - both on this forum and in the restaurant.

What's the point in asking for feedback at the end of a meal and then doing nothing with the information. Surely this is just paying 'lip service' to customer satisfaction?!

Hi Indigo

I'm sorry not to have responded to your post earlier - without making excuses I've simply not had a chance to check the forum over the last few weeks. I work full time (elsewhere - not at the Grill) and have travelling up and down to Scotland for a family illness over the last month. I am back in circulation now and do absolutely take criticism seriously.

I'm not trying to avoid answering but I need a little time to chat to the staff then I will come back to you.................

I absolutely second your comments about the economic climate and making sure feedback is useful.

I will post a response as soon as I can.

Royalowl - ditto with your comments - I'll do some investigating and come back to you. I am very concerned to hear your meal was greasy and that you were disappointed.

It's not unusual for waiting staff to prepare desserts (certainly it's been the case in other restaurants I've worked in) but I would expect the kitchen staff to do it if they are doing nothing else you're right! And - again this will sound like a lame excuse - but the tables were varnished when we shut for a few days in January (they obviously need time to sand them down, varnish, drying time...etc) but the varnish has dried leaving a tacky surface. All the tables need done again and I will be ensuring this happens ASAP, it should have been done already. Apologies for that.

Archived