Sheffield Works Department History Help

Hi can anyone help

I was having a debate about the fact in 1980 my father worked for the SWD as a joiner and I was alway lead to believe that he had to give up his job because carrying his tool bag around sheffield was damaging his back. He became a caretaker at Rowlinson Comprehensive, my friends dont believe this and are arguing that there should have been vans around then and no way would joiners be walking the streets around sheffield.

Anyone out there to help ??

I was a plasterer for SWD in the early 80s working from pot house lane depot in stocksbridge,and YES we had to walk up hill and down dale between jobs,.the lorry would drop materials off,and maybe give you a lift sometimes.:thumbsup:.the good old days.:huh:

My brother started as an apprentice joiner at the Manor Lane depot from about 1976. He stayed after qualifying and worked for a couple of years on the very first major improvements scheme on the Wybourne. There were vans around then but.... only one per team to include brickies, joiners, plumbers, decorators etc.... with seating for about 3people !! (small vans). In addition all vans had to be returned to and left at the depot each evening. My brother used to take his tool bag on the 92 bus from where we lived and later it used to ride pillion on his motor bike...heavily strapped on !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...