Slang words names and phrases that were used by smokers

PopT

I remember going through everyones coat pocket at home looking for a tab end...always found one :thumbsup:

My dad's inside jacket pocket under the stairs was always a surefire bet - we weren't supposed to know that he smoked, so accusing me of nicking one would mean admitting that he was a smoker ;-)

Ah, those halcyon days, when asking a lass if she 'fancied a pull on your woody' didn't result in a slap and a visit to the magistrate's court.:)

Only lasses had filters. "Like smokin' a soddin' tampon!!" :D

when i was in armley,the baccy was referred to as "burn".one of the cons used to be fag mad,one day the trustees played a trick on him by putting broken glass in the landing bin,then told him some tab ends had just been put in,old casey trotted off,dived in arms first,cutting his hands quite badly,i could never understand cigs having that kind of a grip on people.

My old uncle was a deputy down Kiveton Pit. He used to chew tobacco when he was underground and rub it into flakes for his pipe when he was on top.

He called it "shag". I remember him asking for it the shop. "An ounce of shag please luv".

The smell was absolutely vile.

i remember fetching this "shag" for an old neighbour.one day a kid called barry caldwell came with me to the shops,as we walked in,barry saw it wasn,t mrs benton,but her teenage daughter,susan,who was serving...."watch this" he said......"can i have a shag?" susan went white and started shouting for her mother,barry ran off leaving me to explain to an irate mrs benton. old frank laughed his head off when i told him,and said ask for a plug of shag in future,which i made sure i did.

Archived