Avery Scales history & models

• 8 months later...

I'm a ex-Avery service engineer - did my apprenticeship in West Wales from '63-69, and then transferred to an industrial branch in the midlands, so I've worked on most of the pre-electronic scales right from chemist's beam balances through to 40 ton weighbridges.

What sort of info are you looking for?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Sir Ben. I have recently purchased a set of Avery scales, the type which the other gentleman says he wishes to purchase. I know nothing about them, except they are indeed the sort you used to get at the seaside on piers etc. and had to put a penny in the top to get them to work. They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial. All they say on a little plate on the back is 'Made in England by Avery Birmingham 3809cfy s-620099'. I would be extremely grateful for information regarding these, especially how I can reconnect the penny mechanism to operate the scales, model number and anywhere I can get hold of technical or reference literature regarding these. I have looked on the net and can find nothing! The needle appears to drag on the face of the dial, causing them to stick... how do I get at it to bend it out a bit?!! If you don't live too far from Nottingham I would even contemplate paying you to come down and have a look at them for me if you were able and willing to. If not, your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks. Gary

• 2 months later...
Sir Ben. I have recently purchased a set of Avery scales, the type which the other gentleman says he wishes to purchase. I know nothing about them, except they are indeed the sort you used to get at the seaside on piers etc. and had to put a penny in the top to get them to work. They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial. All they say on a little plate on the back is 'Made in England by Avery Birmingham 3809cfy s-620099'. I would be extremely grateful for information regarding these, especially how I can reconnect the penny mechanism to operate the scales, model number and anywhere I can get hold of technical or reference literature regarding these. I have looked on the net and can find nothing! The needle appears to drag on the face of the dial, causing them to stick... how do I get at it to bend it out a bit?!! If you don't live too far from Nottingham I would even contemplate paying you to come down and have a look at them for me if you were able and willing to. If not, your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks. Gary

The 3809CFY Coin Freed Chemist scale you purchased was made in 1962

The first two numbers of the serial number denote the year of manufacture and the S denotes it was made in the Avery's Shefield factory.

It was the last of the mechanical coin freed scales made by Avery.

Hey wow, thank you very much! I really wanted one of those big red clock face platform scales that you used to find in public places that you had to pay to use. You don't know the model of them do you?! Thanks a lot. Gary.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone help please ... I have one of those scales described - "They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial." I am not sure how old it is but probably at least 50 years. I am not based anywhere near Sheffield and the scales is in Ireland but wondered if anyone knew how much I could expect for one (I have been approached by someone who would like to purchase and know it is worth a bit but not sure how much) - can anyone help? Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only just picked up this thread as I have been searching for information on the type of damper oil I should use in my Avery Scales and can find nothing else on the web.

I have an old Avery scale that reads up to 3 lb and was probably used in a grocer's shop. I use these all the time for cooking and have had them for about 10 years. Every now and then the damper oil needs replacing and I have just used ordinary vegetable oil, but it seems to need replacing quite often.

Does anyone know what sort of oil I should use?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mr Paul