Avery Scales history & models

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have just acquired an Avery No1105 CCE 2lb scale. However it's reading full, I have removed the front case and the connection between the balance weight and weighing unit is broken. Can anyone help me? I can probably have a go but I'd like some guidance rather than just taking out all the screws till it all falls apart. If anyone can help you can reach me on alex.trales89@gmail.com. Thank you

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that thanks to the posts on this site I've managed to get an 1105 working. I'd never have got up the courage (or even know what to do) to take off the pot, undo the weird screws, fiddle about with the little bits of lead.

Truly the internet is brilliant at this stuff, all unpaid and out of the goodness of your hearts.

Many thanks one and all

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 23:30, PoptyPizza said:

Hi Just Joined. I was an Avery Mechanic , time served in Swansea in the early 80's. Fire away with any questions...

Glad to see 1105's getting praised on here. They were a perfect scale. Worked perfectly and looked both sexy and classic.

Hi, i need to replace the red thread on my 1105. What do i use? Thanks

Guest Woodie9716

Hi, I’m new here,

I’ve been doing work for a butchers near me and they have asked me to look at an old electronic Avery scales unit. There is no model on the data plate but it’s an Avery commander and the serial number is 900B1107-175

The screen at the front is broken but it still works, the problem is that it’s beeping, I have levelled the scales with the adjustable feet at the bottom so that the tiny spirit level bubble is central to the circle on the left.
After letting it run it’s startup procedure it beeps, I pull the magnet out which is on a sprung piece of string underneath and put it on the balance sensor, the unit stops beeping but as soon as I remove the magnet from the sensor it starts beeping again. 

can anyone advise me on why it’s beeping and what I need to do to fix it.

The model might be a BS3861

thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2021 at 19:00, Woodie9716 said:

Hi, I’m new here,

I’ve been doing work for a butchers near me and they have asked me to look at an old electronic Avery scales unit. There is no model on the data plate but it’s an Avery commander and the serial number is 900B1107-175

The screen at the front is broken but it still works, the problem is that it’s beeping, I have levelled the scales with the adjustable feet at the bottom so that the tiny spirit level bubble is central to the circle on the left.
After letting it run it’s startup procedure it beeps, I pull the magnet out which is on a sprung piece of string underneath and put it on the balance sensor, the unit stops beeping but as soon as I remove the magnet from the sensor it starts beeping again. 

can anyone advise me on why it’s beeping and what I need to do to fix it.

The model might be a BS3861

thanks in advance 

Hi Woodie

The scale model is a 1790, aka the avery 'commander'. BS3861 is the british standards approval. yours is from around 1985, the stamp on the lead plug on the front or side will confirm this, together with a crown and the ID number of the w&m guy / girl who stamped it approved it as fit for trade. it will either be 23lb or 15 kg capacity ...?

the problem you have is that it is outside it's balance range. this was a weights and measures requirement that the scales were only allowed 2% above and below its range at zero, so for a 15kg scale that would be + or - 300g from the preset value. thats an 'ish' though. it may be +250g and -350g , since it will naturally fluctuate. the bleeping disappearing when the magnet is used is a good sign, in that the reed switch activated by the magnet is indeed working.

it's been many a year since i've seen one of these, but to start with, you must make sure the goods pan or plate is on the scale. it will not balance without it. inside the machine there are several switches on the pcb, along with 3 (maybe only 2) potentiometers. the small banks of switches are course adjustments for the balance (or zero) figure, linearity, and range, together with a test mode. the potentiometers are for fine adjustment. if you are tempted to try the switches, make a note of present settings so you can put it back to as it was !!!

providing you have the correct goods fitting, pan or plate, the scale should go straight to zero after it runs its test upon power up.

i could go on and on and on... but if you have a digital multimeter, i would test the load cell. to make sure it hasn't been shock loaded.

ask again if you need further help, but i may need images of switches and pcb and the label on the load cell/ transducer...

On 26/01/2021 at 16:44, drumshade said:

Hi new here can any one help trying to zero these scales and what oil goes in container i think this a damper thanks for any help 

1105 CCF

originally the oil used was 32 grade mineral hydraulic oil. avery used the 'Shell Tellus 32' oil in their machines. as others have posted, seems 3 in 1 will work but being thinner, the damper will need adjusting. the pointer shouldn't sway more than a couple of times. to zero it, make sure it's level, by means of adjusting the bottom feet until the spirit level bulb it is it's centre. then add or subtract weight from the hollow compartment under the goods fitting (2 spanner slotted screws).

Edited by Mal-Larky

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Woodie9716
On 11/05/2021 at 22:13, Mal-Larky said:

Hi Woodie

The scale model is a 1790, aka the avery 'commander'. BS3861 is the british standards approval. yours is from around 1985, the stamp on the lead plug on the front or side will confirm this, together with a crown and the ID number of the w&m guy / girl who stamped it approved it as fit for trade. it will either be 23lb or 15 kg capacity ...?

the problem you have is that it is outside it's balance range. this was a weights and measures requirement that the scales were only allowed 2% above and below its range at zero, so for a 15kg scale that would be + or - 300g from the preset value. thats an 'ish' though. it may be +250g and -350g , since it will naturally fluctuate. the bleeping disappearing when the magnet is used is a good sign, in that the reed switch activated by the magnet is indeed working.

it's been many a year since i've seen one of these, but to start with, you must make sure the goods pan or plate is on the scale. it will not balance without it. inside the machine there are several switches on the pcb, along with 3 (maybe only 2) potentiometers. the small banks of switches are course adjustments for the balance (or zero) figure, linearity, and range, together with a test mode. the potentiometers are for fine adjustment. if you are tempted to try the switches, make a note of present settings so you can put it back to as it was !!!

providing you have the correct goods fitting, pan or plate, the scale should go straight to zero after it runs its test upon power up.

i could go on and on and on... but if you have a digital multimeter, i would test the load cell. to make sure it hasn't been shock loaded.

ask again if you need further help, but i may need images of switches and pcb and the label on the load cell/ transducer...

Hi mal-Larky, thanks for responding, It’s in Lbs but not sure if the max capacity is infact 23lbs, I see the lead plug with a stamped crown and a number 84. 

The scales does have the original load plate but I didn’t know that had to be on to stop the beeping, I have tried it on and in place but it still beeps, I have got a multimeter but I’ve never worked on one of these, how do I go about testing the load cell and if need be how do i adjust the potentiometers snd switches to programme a new zero into the system? I believe it is out of the 2% tolerance when fully built up. 

Thanks