Wardsend cemetery access

mintar

You can walk down the path from Penrith Road (between Nos. 173 and 175) or I imagine there's still the path from Herries Road (just below the Five Arches). Club Mill Road may be another possibility. The best route from Hillsborough/Owlerton used to be Livesey Street and then over Wardsend Bridge but the bridge was swept away in the 2007 flood. Does anyone know if it is to be rebuilt?

Agree with what Hillsbro says, can certainly get down from the Five Arches, closest approach by car is along Club Mill Road but will have to approach from the Neepsend end because of the missing bridge. According to the council website, work on a replacement bridge started in November with completion in May 2009 see http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/maintenance/highway-flood-damage. Heres a photo I took of the cemetary early last year. http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/bluemickk/WardsendCemetary.jpg

Thanks, Geddy Lee - it's good to know that a replacement for Wardsend Bridge will be rebuilt. I wonder if the new bridge will match the original stone arches - I hope so. In case it's of interest, here is a postcard from my collection showing the bridge; it has a 1904 postmark. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/WardsendBridge.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a listing to be found of the graves in wardsend?

Many years ago I remember searching wardsend with my father. He was interested to find the grave of his great grandmother.

The graveyard was unkept even in those days...about forty years ago.

Dad is now 83 himself, and no wiser as to the location of the grave.

Does anyone know if there is a listing to be found of the graves in wardsend?

Many years ago I remember searching wardsend with my father. He was interested to find the grave of his great grandmother.

The Family History Society has published the burials up to 1905, but unfortunately they did not include the grave plot references. There are also published Monumental Inscriptions. Do your know if your GrGtGrandmother's grave has a gravestone? Does your father have any of the original documentation?

In any case I occasionally do some work trying to create some better plans of this cemetery (moonlighting from my work in Walkley Cemetery). If you would like to post or pm me some details of your GtGtGrandmother I wil see what I can find.

Hugh

We recently visited Wardsend Cemetery. We parked on Penrith Road and walked down the path through the woods. It is an amazing place. Will be glad when the bridge is back then we can walk across when we next visit Sheffield and stay at the Barracks.

Thanks Hugh.

I doubt any documents exist, but will ask.

My recollection is of searching for a gravestone, but that may have been an assumption by my father that one would exist.

He referred to her as Great Grandma Oates.

At the time I assumed he meant his Great Grandma, but of course he could have meant mine, although I suspect he would have known where his own grandmother was buried.

All vague recollections on my part, but I will ask my father for more information and post again.

I seem to recall Beatrice Oates, but I'm not sure.

Archived